LED Light Panel, Anyone?

Old 09-14-14, 07:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED Light Panel, Anyone?

I've been contemplating putting some sort of recessed lighting system in my basement. It has a drop ceiling installed about 2" below the floor joists. Probably just me being anal retentive, but with a traditional can light I cannot center the can on the ceiling tiles because of where the ceiling grid system lines up with the floor joists, so...

Has anyone had any experience with these round LED light panels?

LED Light Panel

I've been trying to find information on the on Youtube and general searching, but have not found a lot of information or good installation instructions. They appear to be a lower voltage coming out of the "driver". I guess that is why they do not require a traditional can housing. I was also curious in how the 120v side of this connection should be handled. I guess I could hang junction boxes and make the connection inside the boxes, or install switched outlets in the floor joist and plug them in like a lamp. Any suggestions/experiences out there? Some real world info would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 09-14-14, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,101 Upvotes on 3,683 Posts
I have not had experience with those panels. I would order one to play with and then go from there.

As far as wiring..... these companies seem to have their head in the sand. You can't have that adapter just hanging around with 120v on the wires. I'm not sure you could put it in a junction box as it doesn't look like the driver and the light separate.

Maybe someone has used them before.

Old 09-14-14, 08:19 PM
This is strange. I've never seen lights like these. I would avoid them as they appear to not have any means of proper mounting and more importantly, proper wiring.

Not to mention, even if you did find a way to mount and wire, it looks like these lights would be blinding. LED's can put out a lot of light, and in this case it looks like too much light.

Old 09-14-14, 08:37 PM
Yeah, maybe it's a "square peg in a round hole". I surely do not want to do anything that is dangerous. It is a little tough to see in the pictures, but it appears there is a disconnect between the fixture and the "driver". I have no idea how long those leads are though. It almost appears that there are screw down connections on both sides of the driver, so maybe you can create your own length...maybe stuff that "driver" in a box. Definitely some unknowns here. It's probably not clear by the picture, but the little ears on the sides are a spring clamp for mounting. Thanks for the input so far.

Old 09-14-14, 08:51 PM
It sounds like you know what you're doing. The leads do disconnect. So theoretically, you can stuff driver module in J-box and connect lead to fixture.
I would be more concerned with how to mount disc and light output.
I just have an uneasy feeling about these lights, because they don't meet any standards.

Old 09-14-14, 09:11 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Review of a similar light. Source:Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Eyourlife Dimmable Cree LED 12W 1080 Lumen Round Recessed Ceiling Downlight Lamp Panel White
This review is from: Eyourlife Dimmable Cree LED 12W 1080 Lumen Round Recessed Ceiling Downlight Lamp Panel Warm White
I bought 12 of these dimmable LED panel lights. I installed 6 in my downstairs, and was going to install the other 6 later in my kitchen. The driver that comes with it is a little dinky and doesnt seem of good quality or proper gauge for AC power. It is not UL listed. The lights dont come with any information or paperwork, you have to play around to figure out how the clips get attached to the housing. after 2 weeks of having them installed, I am already having problems. at first if you turn on the switch when the dimmer is at the lowest setting they dont turn on unless you increase the power and return it back to the lowest setting. Also the other day I noticed one light would not run on. after trouble shooting I realized the driver had burnt out and doesn't work any more. lucklily I was able to use one from the other unused 6. so now I have to return one, we will see how that goes. Now a week later two other ones look like the drivers are going bad. Two of the lights are flickering, and sometimes don't turn on with the others. I think I am going to return these and ask for a refund. the lights them selves are great, have great light and are very bright, but the drivers are very cheap and make the light a bad product as a whole. there are other brands that are similar, I would recommend searching for a better quality brand

Old 09-15-14, 05:07 AM
Well, that's a shining review! No pun intended. In looking a little deeper, I found a blow out of the construction of these fixtures, more for the folks that are curious about this light. It looks like small LED's around the circumference and in another photo there is a reflector plate right above the lights as the inner most layer of the cover. So with these type of LED's I'm guessing that "driver" is doing a voltage conversion and determining the color of the light. It looks like many of these are made in China (of course - *insert personal China quality opinion*)

I also found this, which is probably more "run of the mill" since it can be found in the big box stores. I'll just have to see if I can squeeze a junction box between my floor joist and my drop ceiling. These can either be retro'd in to a can or be wired directly in a junction box. Of course the price point here for a dozen of them gets a little spendy, but the house will not burn down.

Sylvania Low Profile LED

Sylvania Install Video

Any other good/bad experiences or thoughts with the super flat model? Thanks again.

Old 09-15-14, 09:00 PM
K
I have bought similar 'panels'. As far as I understand they actually are retrofit replacements for those traditional 'canned' downlights found in gypsum board ceilings. They indeed are much more flat, but that's because they just don't need as much space as those old style round threaded fitting lightbulbs.

The ones on your pictures clearly come from the same factory as mine, but mine have a profile which is about double your height. I disassembled one unit (easily opened with 4 small screws or so). They don't have serviceable parts in it and indeed don't come with any manual. The box said they were designed for about 35,000 hours of usage.

These are Chinese manufactured indeed, but building quality is definitely not rubbish China. The quality of the driver is indeed subject to questioning.

You couldn't find anything online. Me neither. For sure the manufacturer is doing OEM for a number of local brands. Locally here they are branded as TAFF, TAFFWARE and BOSSECOM. I bought the latter brand together with a number of other different LED fixtures for bathroom, garden, stairs, walls etc. They seem to have a large amount of different types on offer, but couldn't find *any* recent catalog or website. Only a 2010 catalog which didn't feature any LED technology yet.

There is a 10cm DC power cable coming out of the fixture with a female DC power adaptor jack attached to it. The driver has 220v at one side, male DC power adaptor jack attached to the DC exit. They join rather tough as the quality of the connectors isn't too fancy, but in normal circumstances I don't think they are designed to be seperated too many times after fitting anyway.

Your Color <-> power co-relation is wrong. They come in different color temperatures, differed by the type of LEDs and plastic diffuser (that milky round window). I bought both 'WHITE' and 'WARM WHITE' (~ yellowish) variations from BOSSECOM, but the TAFF brand has a wider selection, uses actual color temperature indications and has variations in wattage also.

I couldn't make any pictures as they're already fitted in the ceiling. If you really want, I guess I can take down one to make some detailed pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: