Very complicated ceiling fan/light setup. Please Help!

Old 09-16-14, 05:57 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Very complicated ceiling fan/light setup. Please Help!

Hi I'm putting a 1 1/2 story solarium on my house that has a total of 5 points of entry (1 upstairs/ 4 downstairs). I want to make the ceiling fan light so that it is operated by a 4 way switch in conjunction with a separate light fixture downstairs. I only want one switch to operate the fan. I was successful in wiring the lights and my plan was to run a second source wire for the fan but when I wired it up and turned it on the fan switch (which was a speed control type) made a loud POP sound and then nothing happened. For the lights I have the power coming in to the first light switch. It goes though the 4 way switches with 3 wire cable and after the last switch it goes back to 2 wire and runs to the first fixture and then to the ceiling fan light. Then I ran a new feed off the same junction box I have the light source coming from and ran it to the fan and connected the black to black and white to white (which was tied into the lights already) and then ran the wire down to the switch. I was told by a coworker that this would work as long as kept it all from that same source so my grounds were all connected but obviously it did not. I'm going to try it with the power coming into the switch first and then to the fan but I'm not feeling very confident about what I'm doing at this point. Please help if you know what I need to do to make this work. Thanks -Chris

Old 09-16-14, 08:27 AM
C
This is how I did the lights except I have the ceiling fan light wire in series after the first fixture. I just need to figure out a way to wire it like this ceiling fan diagram

Name:  diagram.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  34.6 KB

only with multiple light switches but I don't see how to start because there is no neutral wire on the first light switch.

Name:  diagram2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  50.3 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 09-16-14 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Rotate images
Old 09-16-14, 09:37 AM
C
I wired the fan up by itself and it worked fine. I did have it wired up wrong the first time and didn't realize that with the switch at the end of the run I needed to make the neutral a hot. If there were two neutral wires coming out of the fan/light It would be obvious for me what to do but I'm not sure if I can combine these two leads at the fixture.

Old 09-16-14, 10:03 AM
C
Nevermind, I got it. I connected two neutral wires from my separate 2 wire power feeds for the fan and light and tried it and everything works like its supposed to. If this sounds wrong or dangerous to anyone please LMK. Thanks

Old 09-16-14, 11:21 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No, that is the correct way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: