ceiling fixture in wood slat ceiling

Old 09-21-14, 10:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fixture in wood slat ceiling

Hi there, I have just moved into a house with slat wood ceilings that look a lot like the photo which is (hopefully) attached. There is no direct access to the living room ceiling but previous owners have run some romex and stapled it along the top of one of the beams, but this is not centered in the room and I am trying to hang a chandelier. Assuming I am able to run a longer wire, I would like to find a way to hang the chandy without cutting a box into the wood ceiling, which can't be repaired like drywall can. And of course, the box would make little sense since you cannot run wire above the wood in this spot.

I would like to build some kind of frame for it instead, but I can't find examples of what I'm looking for. Just trying to figure out some common approaches for overhead lighting in rooms with ceilings like this. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-14, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Surface raceway and surface boxes such as those made by Wiremold is the usual way. Either mount the chandelier to a rafter or run a 2x4 flat between the rafters and put the box on it.

Old 09-21-14, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is so helpful. Thank you!