Old Fan, New location, Fan Works No Lights

Old 09-21-14, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Fan, New location, Fan Works No Lights

Good Sunday to you all.

My problem. I have a Hunter fan that was working perfectly with a separate installed remote. I used to have it installed as a single switch. We moved and I am trying to install the fan with out the remote in a new location.

I want the fan to operate from two switches.

I hooked the wires up (Red, White, and Black. Ground) and put everything back together. Fan works perfect, on and off but I can't for the life of me get the lights to come on.

Before I put the fan up there was a single light fixture working just fine on the light switch, it was only the black and white wires though not the red. But the switch does have both the black and red hooked up to it.

I would prefer to have the fan on two switches as that is how I asked for the the house to be built.

I tested the bulbs and they working fine. I also checked all connections and even cleaned them all up a second time.

Any help would be wonderful!

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-14, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
But the switch does have both the black and red hooked up to it.
How did you do that? Do you have a 2-conductor cable (black, white) in addition to the 3-conductor cable (black, red, white) at the switch or just the 3-conductor cable.

Old 09-21-14, 02:47 PM
Name:  Wiring.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  26.6 KB

I probably did a horrible job describing my situation. But here is a picture. Hopefully it will help.

Old 09-21-14, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
I don't see how that could work. You don't have any power going to the switch.

To ask my question again do you have one or more 2-conductor (black, white) cables in the box? If you have two 2-conductor cables in the box and a group of three whites connected together then one of the two conductor cables is power in. The black of that cable is pigtailed to both switches. Because you have already wired the fan connect the black and red also to a pigtail and connect that pigtail to the other screw on the switch. Your picture didn't completely answer my questions so in the diagram I'm guessing on what cables you have. If different please explain.

Tip: Backstabs can be unreliable. Use only the screws.

Based on best guess at what you have:

Name:  Bg.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  22.0 KB

Or is the second switch not to another light and you have something like this:

Name:  Bg.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  22.6 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 09-21-14 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-21-14, 04:28 PM
The switch box, since installed when house was built, is probably correct.
You should see that source hot is pigtailed x 2 into both switches, source neutral is connected to 14/3 white going to light, and 14/3 black and reds are connected to other switch terminals.

Which leads me to ask where did you connect red at ceiling box.
I'm not 100% on this (sorry), I think a remote control fan will not accept a red.

If you have the receiver module still inside the fan housing, there is usually no way to connect a red.

Maybe someone else knows how to override this or remove remote receiver.

Old 09-21-14, 04:36 PM
If you give the model #, we could look up wiring diagram.

Old 09-21-14, 04:56 PM
Ray,

After looking at your diagram I looked into the box and pulled out all of the wires. They are like you suggested, all pigtailed, jumped and wired like the diagram.

I will though go and check the backstabs and move them to the screws.

Handyone,
I had the remote on the fan at the old location. I decided not to install the remote a the new area. So I hooked up the Red to the blue, white to white, and black to black. Grounds to grounds.

I will try and find a model number. Dont have the boxes any more but I will do what I can.

Thanks

Old 09-21-14, 04:59 PM
Tried to get a better picture but pretty dark..

Name:  wiring 2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  45.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-21-14 at 05:18 PM. Reason: reoriented/enhanced picture
Old 09-21-14, 05:23 PM
OK,
I'm a little puzzled.
I see a Red wire in the box that's capped off.
Are you sure these two switches go to ceiling box? Is that a door to the right of switch box?
Make sure one of these switches doesn't go to an outside porch light or a duplex receptacle in room.
A duplex receptacle would be a receptacle where 1/2 of outlet is always hot and the other 1/2 is switched.

Edit: Just to let you know where I'm headed with this. It looks like maybe the original electrician did not wire two switched hot wires to ceiling box. However, made it possible to do so at a later date.

Last edited by Handyone; 09-21-14 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-21-14, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Is the left hand switch for the fan/light? What is the right hand switch.

Which diagram of mine was correct. First or second?

Old 09-22-14, 11:55 AM
Ray I apologize I was not 100% correct in saying your diagrams were right for my situation. I believe my scenario best fits the first diagram you linked with all the white wires tied off together and then the two blacks to the fan and one red wire to the light switch with a black also.

I do not know why I have a free red wire as I did not run these wires, our electrician did. Could this be a "pre-wire" fan situation?

I am almost 100% certain these wires/switches all run to the fan as that is how it is drawn in our plans. The door you see is into a hallway which has its own light switch.

I am at work now but if you need any more info let me know.

Colby

Old 09-22-14, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
So I am clear you have two 3-conductor cables and one two conductor cable at the switch box?

The other switch may control half of a receptacle. You need to check if half of any of the near by receptacles are dead when both switches are off.

Old 09-22-14, 01:59 PM
Problem solved! Thank you both for your help.

The "spare" red wire was actually the wire that needed to be wired to the switch box. I borrowed a light tester from work and checked all the connections and finally after switching the red wires the light and fan worked correctly!

Thank you again. A wonderful forum group this is and will be coming back often!

Thanks

Old 09-22-14, 04:11 PM
I'm happy you got it to work. You may find down the road that something else in that room doesn't work.

Old 09-22-14, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Brian posted:
You may find down the road that something else in that room doesn't work.
As I wrote in #12 I suspect a half switched receptacle. You might want to check both sides of all receptacles in the room.