Installing ceiling fan box in plaster ceiling

Old 09-21-14, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing ceiling fan box in plaster ceiling

Hi

My ceiling fan decided to obey the law of gravity... and improper hanging. It fell but luckily the wires kept it from smashing into the floor.

I'm an amateur when it comes to DIY but I'm trying to learn. I quickly found out that there was no ceiling fan box. Actually, there was no box at all.

I attached some pics below so you can see the type of ceiling.

AS I said, I'm an amateur but I can follow directions if I know what to do. I read and watched videos online about installing a proper ceiling fan box but I don't understand how to deal with this type of ceiling.

There is an attic above the ceiling. It has a wooden floor and I can't see what's between the attic floor and ceiling below.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.
Colin

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-14, 12:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
That's what happens when the fan is screwed to the mason lath and the lath splits.

That's knob and tube wiring. Is your entire house wired in K & T ?

Since you have that style wire I'm going to guess you have a plank floor in the attic. Sometimes you can shine a bright light from downstairs, thru the hole in the ceiling and see it in the attic. You're going to need to cut the attic flooring from center of beam to center of beam to remove some planks to access that area.

Old 09-22-14, 01:18 AM
"That's knob and tube wiring. Is your entire house wired in K & T?"

I had to search online to find out what K&T wiring was. I don't know if the whole building has it. I'm in a second floor apartment (the only one). Below is a family business (my parents). I know at least some of the wiring downstairs is new.

Yes, there is a plank floor in the attic (stand up, plenty of space). Cutting it wouldn't be a problem. However, I'm assuming it has to be done carefully or in a certain way because I obviously wouldn't want to cut into any wiring.

Old 09-22-14, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You might also be able to install a fan rated box from below but you really need to replace the K#T.

Name:  FanBox_Instalation_zps1d34c538.jpg
Views: 5220
Size:  40.3 KB

Old 09-22-14, 05:37 AM
"You might also be able to install a fan rated box from below"

So I just cut into the lath and whatever it is that it's nailed to? And cutting into the wire won't be an issue as long as I'm careful?

Old 09-22-14, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, that is the basics. I would slip heat shrink tubing over each of the wires because the insulation can be crumbly. Use white HST for the white wire and black for the black wire.

Old 09-22-14, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
You could work from below but since you have the ability to work in the attic it would certainly be much easier.