Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Removed old light fixture and trying to figure out how to replace with new one

Old 09-22-14, 12:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have pulled down an old light fixture and am not sure how to proceed on the new one. Two challenges are that I've never replaced one before and that my new fixture came with no instructions whatsoever.

A third is that there was no jbox attached to the original light fixture, but only some NM wire fished around a beam and through some drywall, with a small bracket attached (shown in photo).

My new fixture is very heavy and it comes with its own bracket that perhaps should be attached to a particular kind of jbox. It will not attach to the little bracket that was originally holding the old fixture. But I'm not positive what the new bracket "wants" to attach to since there are no instructions. I was wondering if someone could help me take a guess.

3 pics below: the wires, the original small bracket, and the large new fixture bracket.

Attached Images    
Old 09-22-14, 06:02 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to add a box either surface mounted or recessed.

Old 09-22-14, 10:28 AM
B
I am looking at boxes and there is one that would fit in there nicely but I still can't work out how to mount this new bracket. Would you say it's designed to be mounted off center, to one side? The ground wire in the fixture doesn't extend very far.

It seems weird to have a fixture that would not be mounted centered, but I can't work out how this one can even after I install a box. And you can see that the spacing between the slots on the new bracket are at least 5" apart at the center, with no center hole unlike other fixture brackets, but the largest box I can install in that space is 3 1/2".

Old 09-22-14, 10:33 AM
B
Name:  temp-fixture.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  43.7 KB

Could this be calling for two kinds of support of some kind and an off-center mounting? Which would mean moving the wire and drilling new holes inside a beam unfortunately. This is the only mounting hardware that came with it but it seems like something might be missing.

Old 09-22-14, 11:36 AM
What type of box?

Last edited by ray2047; 09-22-14 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 11:43 AM
B
There was no box with the original fixture, but the one I was planning to buy, because I have 1/2" of drywall that can be cut away over a wooden beam, was this one:
Raco 3-1/2 in. Round Ceiling Pan, 1/2 Deep with NMSC Clamps (25-Pack)-8292 at The Home Depot

I willl post a pic if this link isn't ok for the forum ...

Old 09-22-14, 11:48 AM
B
Attachment 38710 <-- this one

(typing random characters so I can post this)

Old 09-22-14, 12:18 PM
I have 1/2" of drywall that can be cut away
But that looks outside there shouldn't be drywall. A pancake box such as you posted would be good for this. Or you could use a surface block: Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...V3QH7JWN97HKXP

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: