Help with exterior garage lighting. Not working.

Old 09-22-14, 01:43 PM
Help with exterior garage lighting. Not working.

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone could help me with my garage lights. When I looked at the house before buying, I could've sworn they were working, or maybe I was wrong. Either way they do not work now and I cannot seem to be able to find a switch to turn them on. Here is a pic I made up in MS Paint(not very good but hope it helps)

Name:  House drawing.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  27.6 KB

If you can see the picture. Wouldn't it make sense that to turn my exterior lantern lights in the front of the garage, the lights would be in the garage? They are not motion sensor operated. But the garage only has two switches. One is for the lights inside he garage and the other only turns on the flood lights that light up the rear of the garage and a part of the backyard.

How could I find out what switch turns on my front two lights of the garage?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-14, 02:10 PM
Look at the front of garage, under eaves or in middle of wall if you have a gable roof. You may see a junction box with a photoelectric-sensor (electric eye). Turns on and off lights at dusk and dawn.
Make note of how old one was wired and replacing should be pretty straightforward.

Old 09-22-14, 02:24 PM
There is no junction box, photoelectric-sensor outside or anywhere on the garage. The lights are not motion operated or do they turn on when it gets dark outside. I am sure of it. Unless this sensor is installed on the roof(I doubt it), but I will take a look tomorrow. Also there is no indication anywhere else on the garage where a junction box, or any sensors were installed before.

Old 09-22-14, 03:47 PM
The sensor wouldn't be on roof.
Maybe others have an idea.

Old 09-22-14, 06:39 PM
So if there isn't a sensor or anything attached outside, then it would only make sense that they are probably controlled by a switch. But which would be the most logical switch that would control them? Now I have a switch inside my house that controls the outside light to my front door and it's also programmable. Could this switch also control the two lights on my garage? I do know that if I turn on the light to my front door, the garage lights "Do not" come on. As for the programmable part of it, I know it's from Leviton and it seems confusing, with 3 buttons on it to program.

Any ideas anyone?

Old 09-22-14, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you see where the wiring comes into the garage from the floods? If so, trace it and see if it goes to a switch in the garage or heads for the house.

Old 09-22-14, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Does the garage have an opener? I know it sounds odd, but a friend had wired his outside garage lights to the opener so it was lit outside as well as in when he came home at night.

Woody, It's not the floods on the back, but the coach lights on the front. But I agree, tracing the wiring might be the best thing if possible.

Old 09-22-14, 07:36 PM
I do have a garage door opener and a light switch for opener but it does not control the outside lights, just the light on the opener itself.

Old 09-22-14, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Well, it was just a thought.