new LED recessed lights strobing

Old 09-24-14, 04:50 PM
new LED recessed lights strobing

We installed LED Recessed Lighting in our Kitchen with the understanding that we could have a dimmer switch. When we hooked it up, we got strobe lighting instead! We used Model UtiliTech Pro #18290 recessed lighting Kit and the recommended Lutron C-L dimmer switch #TGCL-153PH. We tried 2 different switches thinking perhaps one was malfunctioning. We tried to adjust the toggle inside the dimmer switch and still ... no dimmer, just strobes! What can I do now? I can't take the fixtures out and replace them and I REALLY want dimmers....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-14, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Redo all connections. If that doesn't help try a regular switch. If that works: Are the bulbs dimable? Dimming is a crap shoot with LEDs, different brand of dimmer, different brand of bulbs may help. With a particular dimmer even higher watt bulbs may help.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-24-14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 07:33 PM
You might want to try a different dimmer. Sometimes the store electrician can help because they've seen the problems from other customers.
Lutron 603PGH,Lutron CTCL-153PDH,Lutron DVWCL-153PDH,
Lutron S-603P

As Ray said, before you go shopping for dimmers, ensure lights work.

Also there are ranges for LED dimming, you can probably get down to 5 to 10%

I forgot to mention. I filled out a support form at Lutron's Website and they actually got back to me via e-mail. Very nice. I had a problem dimming triple tube CFL's with dimmable ballasts.

Last edited by Handyone; 09-24-14 at 07:44 PM. Reason: support
Old 09-25-14, 06:51 AM
Thank you ... I was wondering if we might have to go to a different dimmer switch...

Old 09-25-14, 07:30 AM
I actually did contact Lutron and they were extremely helpful. Don't have a solution yet, but they were prompt and accommodating. Can't find a site for the Utilitech. Thanks for the suggestion on options of Lutron switches. That maybe should be our next try....!