Ceiling Fan Control on Wall

Old 09-25-14, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Control on Wall

Hello.

I just bought a new to me home that was originally built in 1994. House is truly in great shape, many upgrades already, but of course some small stuff needs done.

One thing that I can't seem to figure out (one thing, ha, for now at least!)... The ceiling fans in the kitchen and living room are both connected to a fan speed control box next to the light switch (looks like a dimmer swtich, but is not. I wasn't familiar with these units until yesterday.

I do not like them. The fan speed in the living room is no where near what it should be, even when the control box is set to high. I was going to pull them out and replace with a single throw on/off switch, but as I said, I quickly found out that it is not that easy when I pulled the box yesterday.

My question is... Can I replace these with an on/off switch somehow, and just use the pull chain on the fan to control the speed? Is it possible to somehow test these units to make sure they are working? As I said, when I rotate the knob to what should be full power, the fan spins in what looks like low.

*edit, yes, I tried to pull the chain and change speeds on the fan. Did not change anything. Also, fan is made by Hunter, not sure how old.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-14, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
We need to know the wiring both at the fan and the speed control. Does the fan have seperate leads for light and motor (usually black, blue).

Old 09-25-14, 10:04 AM
Short of pulling down the fan, is there an "easier" way to find out what the wiring is? I pulled the control box out yesterday, it has two black wires coming out the back, but I didn't take the time to look where they went.

I will look in the box tonight, and do some more investigation. I also think the previous homeowner left the manual for the fan, so maybe I can find some info in there.

If it helps, the speed control and the fan lights are separate on the wall (two separate switches). Also, the lights can be turned on/off at 3 switch locations (hallway, kitchen entrance, front door), fan only one.

Old 09-25-14, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
If it isn't a close mount fan you should be able to drop the canopy to see what wires the fan has.
If it helps, the speed control and the fan lights are separate on the wall (two separate switches). Also, the lights can be turned on/off at 3 switch locations (hallway, kitchen entrance, front door), fan only one.
You left the important information till last. You probably don't need to check the fan wires.

Old 09-29-14, 01:18 PM
Update on this... Since I didn't need to check the fan wires, I never did... I did however find something out, it was an ID.10.T error. The kitchen switch, when rotated all the way puts the fan into high setting, but the living room switch is the opposite, last click is low setting. Now I have an additional question.

Can the two wires be reversed, inside the box, and the switch will work like the one in the kitchen? I highly doubt this, but it was worth the sentence.

If I wanted to change to an on/off switch and control the speed at the fan(s), is this possible? and how would it be done? Is it as simple as replacing the "fan speed control box" with a switch?

Thanks!

Old 09-29-14, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
No, reversing the wires would do nothing.

Old 09-30-14, 12:03 PM
I figured as much... Thought I would ask, as in some DC circuits, reversing the wires would change the rotation, such as a DC motor. Like I said, it was worth the sentence.

1) Is there a way to make it match the kitchen switch? First click = slow, last click = fast?
2) Is there a way to replace the fan control boxes with a regular on/off switch, and control the speed from the fan?