Can I use standard 18/2 SPT-2 wire with this Ceramic (type b bulb) socket?

Old 09-26-14, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I use standard 18/2 SPT-2 wire with this Ceramic (type b bulb) socket?

Hi everyone!

The other day I picked up a fixture from the local ReStore. It's a 60 watt (takes a type b bulb,) fixture originally meant to be attached to a ceiling box. I'd like to convert it into a table lamp. I've rewired and built many lamps and swag lights, but never one with this kind of socket, and I've never converted a fixture to a plug-in lamp, so I have some questions about grounding and cord types.

Photos of the fixture/socket/wiring:
Name:  Photo Sep 26, 4 04 21 PM.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  45.7 KB
Name:  Photo Sep 26, 4 04 41 PM.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  39.2 KB

My questions are:

a.) Can I rewire the ceramic socket with standard 18/2 SPT-2 cord (the kind they sell at Home Depot/Lowes with a premolded plug)? The existing cords are rated 150C and 600V, while the 18/2 SPT-2 is rated 105 and 300V. Is this because it's meant to be attached to an electrical box, or is there some voodoo involved with the socket that necessitates higher rated cord?

b.) The original fixture has a ground wire, but it's not attached/wired to the socket itself (see in photo above.) Would I need to use a grounded plug with this?

Failing rewiring it, I could just go pick up a candelabra socket for cheap (standard sockets won't fit inside the smaller metal housing on the fixture,) but I thought I'd see if I could use what I had on hand first, and maybe learn a few things in the process.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-14, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The 18-2 wire you've mentioned should be fine. That socket is ceramic and uses high heat wiring because it's assumed you will be using it base up and all the heat from the bulb will come up thru the socket. Burning base down you'll be fine. However, it looks like the wires are soldered to the socket. How do you plan to attach your new wiring ?

A ground will not be needed on your table lamp.

Old 09-27-14, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response! I had a feeling it had to do with it being a ceiling fixture, but I wanted to make sure before I started putting it back together.

For this fixture, I actually did go pick up a packet of candelabra sockets and wired it up last night as a test fit, but they are a bit longer than the original so they protrude above the lip of the housing a bit more than I'd like. I'll be using a transparent glass shade for the lamp, so I'm going to rewire it with the original ceramic socket so everything is nice and flush. The original wires are crimped to the contacts rather than soldered, although I will most likely add some solder on top once I add the new wiring in.

Thanks again for the information, I appreciate it!

Old 09-27-14, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
The Depot also carries a socket similar to the picture below. It's thinner than the ceramic socket.

Name:  socket.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  4.0 KB