Ceiling fan and a switched outlet.

Old 09-28-14, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan and a switched outlet.

I have searched the forums but can't seem to find the same wiring situation as I have. The ceiling fan wiring used to be surface mounted and plugged into a switched outlet. I ran a 14/2 wire through the ceiling and then into the back of a new plug. Everything works fine except for the fact that if I shut the light off then the fan goes off as well as the wall switch.... hmmmm never thought of that. One other issue is that the bathroom wall plug no longer works. What I would like to accomplish would be to have the bathroom plug working and to be able to keep the plug that the fan is connected to always hot. In addition be able to turn the light off while keeping the fan on.
Going into the switched outlet at the top there are three wires a white, red and black. plus the new 14/2 cable that I ran. The original wiring has the white going to one side of the plug the red to the other and the black is pigtailed to another black that goes out the bottom of the box, On the bottom of the outlet there is a white wire connected and that wire goes goes out the same place that the pigtailed black wire goes (the bathroom plug?) The bottom back of the plug (the end with only a white wire) is where I stuck the fan wire into. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-14, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
through the ceiling and then into the back of a new plug.
Do you really mean a receptacle?
Going into the switched outlet at the top there are three wires a white, red and black. plus the new 14/2 cable that I ran.
Replace the receptacle with one that has the tab still in place on the brass side. Do the following if at the switch you you have a 2-conductor cable and a 3-conductor cable with the whites connected only to each other, blacks pigtailed to one side of the switch and red to the other side of the switch..
  • Connect the black of the fan cable to the red wire.
  • Connect the remaining blacks to a pigtail and pigtail to the brass side of the receptacle.
  • Connect all whites including fan white to a pigtail and pigtail to sliver screw of receptacle.
  • Connect grounds per code.

Old 09-28-14, 08:55 AM
Yes I mean receptacle. At the switch box there are a lot of wires going in but the switch itself has a red and a black wire on it going to the switched receptacle, Also the receptacle is new so it would have the brass tab still in place. Would your wiring instructions still apply at the receptacle?

Old 09-28-14, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, try it if at the switch you have two or more white wired connected only to each other.

Old 09-28-14, 11:36 AM
Okay thanks I'll give it a try. Unfortunately I won't be able to try it for a few weeks because it's in a different state. One more question if this works and the switch will control the light how can I get the fan to stay on when the light is off? Would one of those fan switches work?