Mounting a wall-mounted light

Old 09-29-14, 10:49 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mounting a wall-mounted light

I am remodeling my bathroom and as part of the construction am replacing the light bars over my mirrors. The original light bars were mounted straight to the drywall, so I pulled it down and installed a mounting box in the wall. In the process, I got the hole around the mounting box cut too large. Now when I try to mount the light, to lower right part of the bracket that should hold the light on is being pushed back into the wall. I attempted to fix it by cutting a thin piece of wood to mount behind the bracket, but this pushes the mounting screws too far out and the fixture is left hanging 3/4" from the wall. Short of pulling the sheet rock back down and redoing it, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Old 09-29-14, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This problem comes up now and again. A picture of what you're working with would be ideal.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

I've used sprayfoam to hold the box in place.

Old 09-29-14, 11:03 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. That was the direction I was leaning toward, but didn't know if there was a better way to do it or not. I'd love to attach an image, but I'm not there right now and trying to get some ideas that maybe I can implement tonight when I am there.

Old 09-29-14, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
Sprayfoam is very sticky and expands so it needs to be used carefully but it can be a lifesaver.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: