In search of a tiny light socket

Old 09-29-14, 09:21 PM
In search of a tiny light socket

I'm working on creating a beer bottle lamp (hopefully not as cheesey as it sounds) and the piece that is still eluding me is finding a socket that is small enough to fit through the neck of a beer bottle. The diameter of the opening at the top of a standard bottle is just over 1/2 inch, so I am trying to find a socket that ideally meets the following qualifications:

1) The socket must be less than .5 inches in diameter at the widest part of the housing.

2) Has a threaded end that can be screwed on to a standard 1/8" nipple.

Below is an image of a lamp that showcase a similar design to the one I am trying to configure:

Name:  bulb.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  30.6 KB

So far I've taken trips to multiple lighting stores, lamp stores, and electrical shops in my area (not to mention Lowes, Home Depot, and a number of other hardware stores) and no one has been able to come up with any workable solutions. I've seen some candelabra sockets that seem as if they would work; however, they have all ended up being just a bit too large to fit through the opening of the bottle. If anyone has any idea's they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Kyle

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-14, 09:45 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That looks like a miniature screw base or bayonet base bulb and socket.
They are available but I haven't seen one that will screw directly onto a pipe nipple.
Also... those bulbs are not 120v and based on the voltage you decide to use... you'll need a transformer. Those bulbs come in 6.3v, 8v, 12v, 18v and 28v. There may be a few more sizes in between.

Old 09-30-14, 03:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm thinking you would have luck searching for a Hobby/Craft store. Think of someone building a miniature train village, would use a ton of smaller type lights.

Old 09-30-14, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator
It would help if you update your profile to include your location but assuming you are in the US, Radio Shack has bulb sockets for the small lamp in your picture.

It likely has been modified to affix to the 1/8" pipe.and covered with heat shrink.