Thinking about adding a switched overhead light in dining room

Old 10-01-14, 11:25 AM
Question Thinking about adding a switched overhead light in dining room

Hi all,

In our dining room (formerly a living room before the previous owners built an addition in the 90s), there is a light switch with three switches as you enter the house from the outside. I was wondering how much trouble it would be to add a 4th switch and put a ceiling box in for a semi-flush overhead light connected to that...?

I'm guessing it would depend on where the stud is that the existing switch box is attached to (ie, is there room to add a new box to the left of the switches, which are ver close to the door frame, on the right side)?

Would I need to pull out the existing switches, remove the existing box and put in a 4 gang box? Or is there an 'add-on' box out there that would look seamless with a faceplate over it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-14, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
It all depends on your house and it's framing as much of the labor is pulling the new wire. Generally pulling new wires in external walls is more difficult because of the insulation. As for the switch box I would add the new one as a separate box instead of ripping out the old and putting in a 4 gang though that is a possibility if you want them all under one switch plate.

Old 10-01-14, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
If you have a switched receptacle you may be able to use that for an overhead light. You can also put four switches (cu. in. permitting) in a 3 gang box by substituting a duplex switch for one of the simplex switches.

Even if you stay with a 3-gang box removing it will make fishing a new cable easier.

Old 10-01-14, 01:04 PM
thanks! Hadnt thought about insulation
May have to rethink this...