Suggestions for lighting stained-glass bookends?

Old 10-03-14, 01:24 PM
Suggestions for lighting stained-glass bookends?

I don't know if this is the right place to put this: if not, would love to be directed to the appropriate place!

I'm putting together small (7 by 9-inch) stained glass panels to serve as bookends for my bookshelves (see below). Once the panels are done, I'd love to have a way to light them from behind (without creating a huge space between them and the books).

There will be 8 panels in all, and it would be really great to have all of them wired together, if possible. I don't have much experience with electrical wiring, but I'll bet I could learn simple stuff if necessary.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Name:  Bookshelf1.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  Bookshelf Panel.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  27.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-03-14 at 05:13 PM. Reason: corrected and edited pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-14, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I see you met our picture posting system.

I know what you are trying to do. At one time they made electrofluorescent panels that would have been perfect for you. I don't see them around anymore.

I'm going to think on this one. Others should stop by and offer their opinions too.

Old 10-03-14, 05:54 PM
You're right, that would have been perfect! Anyway, thanks for the response and for cleaning up the pictures!

Old 10-03-14, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
It might double the thickness but I'm thinking a light box on the back maybe an inch deep and low voltage LEDs.Maybe a reflector on the inside back.

Old 10-03-14, 07:58 PM
Hmmm...that might be my best option. If I were to do that, I should probably stop making the frames out of those little square pieces, and just make them an inch deeper in the first place, right?

Also, what kind of low-voltage LED's? I've never worked with any kind of lighting before (although I usually pick things up fairly quickly).

Old 10-03-14, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
just make them an inch deeper in the first place, right?
Yes, that's what I mean. For light maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lampux-Flexibl...ed+tape+lights It can be cut in to segments as small as 3 bulbs.

Old 10-03-14, 09:19 PM
I was looking at something like that earlier (although these lights are VERY inexpensive). Only thing that's not very clear is, how would I wire them all together so there's only one plug?

Old 10-04-14, 12:47 PM
Through research, I think the only thing I'm going to have trouble with is finding proper wiring to connect the various sections of LED across the bookshelves - I need lengths of around 4-5 feet, probably. One source suggested finding lamp cord/wiring...would that work? How easy would that be to do with a soldering iron (I already know how to use one)?

Old 10-04-14, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Lamp cord or #18 or #20 speaker wire would be okay for just a few LEDs.

Old 10-04-14, 01:32 PM
What qualifies as "just a few"? I'm thinking I'd probably have around a foot of lights - maybe a foot and a half - per panel, with EIGHT panels in all. With that in mind, would speaker wire still work?

Also, are the wires pretty intuitive when it comes to soldering them together?

Old 10-04-14, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
I'd run the individual cord from each bookend to a single 18 to the power supply. In all honesty I'm working on educated guess here.The company you buy the lights from may have more educated info. When soldering be sure to maintain polarity of the cord. Not sure though you will need to solder. It may come with clips and even all the wire you need.

Old 10-04-14, 04:05 PM
Gotcha. That makes sense.

One last question (and it's probably a dumb/obvious one): What kind of power supply is going to accept multiple inputs like that? What would be my search terms when looking for one? I really appreciate your help.

Old 10-04-14, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Not multiple inputs. All cords from bookends combined into one cord to the power supply. That is what I though you were asking about soldering. Lights have clips for connecting the cords. Please look at the whole page I linked to. It lists accessories such as power supplies.

I have never used these lights. I suggest you buy ones similar to what I posted and read the information that comes with them.

Old 10-04-14, 04:44 PM
I've read the page, as well as multiple other things as well. What I'm not sure about is how to merge multiple cords into ONE cord for the power supply. How do I do that? I guess this isn't even an LED-specific question: How do I merge multiple cords into one?

(I was just asking about soldering when it comes to connecting individual LED strips to the speaker cord)

Old 10-04-14, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Your current demand is going to be very low. You could use even #20 speaker wiring.

If you ran four lines(one from each shelf) down to the power supply... you could connect all four together with a fifth piece of wire that went to the power supply. You could use wire nuts to cover the splices.

You could also make splices at each shelf so that you ended up with one cable from the bottom shelf to the power supply.

Old 10-05-14, 07:25 AM
Alright, I think I've got it.

Instead of the waterproof version that ray2047 linked earlier, I think I'll pick up this one: My research suggests that connecting the wires is tougher with waterproofed lights because you have to scrape off the waterproof stuff.

I'll also get a couple of these bad boys in case the strip can't make turns inside the frame itself.

Along with that, I'll get this adapter and an RF dimmer as well.

And to cap it all off, I'll get some speaker cord from Home Depot. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out the polarity and all the splicing stuff as I go.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Old 10-05-14, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
Now your on the right track.

Old 10-10-14, 11:46 AM
BAM! Until I can make another one, the dragon is still in its initial frame: i used the other completed panel to prototype the lightbox, and it turned out awesome!(hopefully if the pictures don't turn out right, PJmax can fix them).

Made the lightbox.
Name:  lightbox 1.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  40.6 KB

(Note the sliding back panel for easier access)
Name:  lightbox back.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  44.7 KB

Put lights in it:
Name:  inside lighted.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  34.4 KB

And bam! (it actually looks a lot better in person).

Name:  lighted.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  36.1 KB

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Old 10-10-14, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Looks very good. Are you going to sell those?

Old 10-10-14, 12:34 PM
The stuff I'm doing now is just for myself and my bookshelves. And the only way I'm going to sell anything is if friends or family on see it on Facebook and want one!