Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

3-Bulb Halogen Fixture Fails With More Than 1 Bulb, But Just 1 Bulb Works Fine

Old 10-04-14, 01:46 AM

I have a halogen fixture I purchased from Ikea about 12 years ago. It uses 3 MR16 Halogen bulbs. Last bulb died out so I bought three new bulbs.

With all 3 bulbs, the fixture barely lights the bulbs at all. It takes a few seconds to even light them dimly, and if I wait longer they will gain a bit of brightness (but nowhere near normal).

So I tried each bulb independently in each socket. Each bulb lights full brightness instantly. Then I tried different bulbs in different sockets, hoping to find the culprit, but nothing makes sense.

Basically, if the fixture has one bulb, it works fine. If it has more than one, it doesn't work. It doesn't matter which bulb is in which socket.

I have tried removing them and reinstalling them a few times, thinking maybe the connections weren't quite solid, but that doesn't make a difference.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-14, 02:21 AM
Group Moderator
Is this a 120vac or low voltage fixture ? The bulbs come in different voltages and wattages.

It sounds like you have the low voltage type with either the wrong voltage or the per lamp wattage is too high and causing the transformer to sag.

Old 10-04-14, 03:00 AM
It's a 120vac fixture. You led me to look closer at the bulbs. What I purchased were 12v 50w bulbs. What came out of the fixture are 12v 20w. So, you were right. I'll look for 12v 20w. Thanks!