Rewire Existing Ceiling Fan

Old 10-08-14, 10:30 AM
Rewire Existing Ceiling Fan

I'm slowly adding Caseta light switches to my home. They are not rated to power anything other than lights.. and I want to do things right.

Our house has a room added on to the back and the hard part about it is that I have no attic access to it. Currently the ceiling fan and light in that room are wired to the same light switch. The switch only has black/white.. not even a ground wire.

What I want to do is change it up so that the fan is powered separate from the lights. That's how the fans in the rest of the house were wired as well. I gather that I'll need a 14-3 wire run, which is scary because I don't know how I would be able to fish that from the switch to the fan itself without attic access.

But then I'm not entirely confident how it should be wired. I -think- it should be power(black) to the fan and the light switch. Red from the light switch to the lights and then white back on out to complete the circuit... but I'm not entirely positive. What do you all suggest?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-14, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

What you have is a switch leg. You could use that switch leg to operate the light only and pick up always live power for the fan right at the ceiling box. Would that work for you ?

Old 10-08-14, 10:53 AM
If I understand what you mean correctly, then yeah.. that would be exactly what I want. Just a way to make sure that the light switch only controls the lights. The fan would be switched on/off by it's pull chain.

Old 10-08-14, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Name:  g.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  24.2 KB

Old 10-08-14, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys. I'll open up the ceiling fan and take a look. Your diagram is straightforward enough.

Old 10-09-14, 02:02 PM
OK, I opened up the fan and here's what I found. Decided I would get your thoughts and make sure I know what I'm doing before messing with current.

(I had a hard time getting the forum to accept these.. so here's links.)

There's four sets of black/white coming into the box. I got a little lost keeping current flow in my mind, especially with that bundle of black and one white in there. The fan blue and black were tied to the black you see dangling and the white to the white, obviously.

I'm betting that the backyard porch light/switch that's also in this room is tied to this junction somehow. Otherwise, i don't know what the rest of those wires are doing as there's nothing else in the room on the ceiling... and it's an add-on to the house so it doesn't go to other nearby rooms.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6681376/fan1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6681376/fan2.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6681376/fan3.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6681376/fan4.jpg

Old 10-09-14, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, that matches my diagram. Below I have circled in red the power connection in yours and below in mine to give you a better perspective.

Name:  fan4.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  16.4 KB

You want to move the fan black there.

The fan blue goes to the black of the 2-conductor cable from the switch loop.

Name:  light.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  46.1 KB

Old 10-10-14, 06:36 AM
Awesome, it's all installed how I want now! Thanks.

Of course now the fan makes some noise (mechanical), so now I get to open it up again to make sure everything's out of the way of any parts that spin.. and tighten everything down.

Old 10-10-14, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
One problem is the box is not fan rated. Change out to a fan rated box and see if the noise continues.

Name:  FanBox_Instalation_zps1d34c538.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  40.3 KB