LED lights started flashing...2nd time...poor job ?!?

Old 10-09-14, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb LED lights started flashing...2nd time...poor job ?!?

Hello guys,

Thanks God internet exists and forums like this.

I have a retail store in Florida.

I opened 11 months ago. I needed a spot light all along some display drywall shelves and niches. My contractor's electrician suggested LED STRINGS...

I said ok cause they said they won't have any problem for years, many years.

We have 3 separate LED sectors, each with its own on/off switch and transformer.

After 2 months, central sector started blinking/flashing. Called the electrician back, had to open the drywall, I wasnt there, He said he replaced the transformer ?!? Now that sector is working since the fix.

Now the other sector started the same issue. All of a sudden led lights, once turned on, blink/flash. Very regularly. Like one second On and one second Off.

Im not trusting the electrician anymore also because he told me he has to replace the whole lights this time and since he's coming from Miami (the store is in Palm Beach, 60miles away) he would charge 300$.

Im sure its not the lights...but something bad in the switch or transformer or I don't know.

Im uploading a photo of the led string, one photo of the transformer (i had to open drywall ) and one video where you can see the issue.

I stopped by an electrical shop this morning and the guy there, very kind, said " they used the WRONG transformer, thats not the right one..." and he also said it could be also the switch cause these lights need a DIMMER

What you guys think is the problem ? what should i do to not throw more money away ?

thanksssssss so much
Marco

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  9.5 KB

Name:  image1(1).jpg
Views: 261
Size:  28.5 KB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCtWFyOdhfQ&feature=youtu.be

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-14, 04:58 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Can you determine how many watts the LED strip is? Or send us the spec's on the strips,could be overloading the transformer.
Geo

Old 10-10-14, 10:33 AM
Hi Geo
Thanks

I dont have any manual or box regarding leds

But on them there is written: +12V

And then in small black rectangole there is: 151

Does it help ?

Old 10-10-14, 11:12 AM
Received 21 Votes on 16 Posts
The first blinking problem should have been a warranty issue if the electrician furnished the material which is the way most jobs are commonly done. It's obviously been over a year now so your warranty from the electrician is probably up now that you have a second issue, but there may still be a warranty on the transformer if you know where it came from. I'd start by replacing the transformer and see what happens. Why would you hire a contractor from so far away and not a local contractor who you can rely on for situations like this?

Old 10-10-14, 01:07 PM
Is someone capable to suggest me a suitable transformer ?

To buy online

Old 10-11-14, 05:06 AM
Is this a tape like strip?How long? Really not enough info to choose a transformer.
Geo

Old 10-11-14, 05:59 AM
Yes its a tape string

Long about 14.75 feet

Old 10-11-14, 10:51 AM
So if you figure roughly 1.5 watts per ft. That transformer seems to small,is there a way to split the strip up?
Geo

Old 10-11-14, 02:42 PM
i dont think so, also because i dont want to open any more hole in the drywall to add a switch/transformer

so, to change that transformer, what you suggest ?

Old 10-12-14, 04:57 AM
Why not contact a Co. Like these folks and explain your problem and see what they suggest,they are in the Business.
LED Power Supply & LED Drivers for Reliability at Low Cost | Powergate
Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Geo

Old 10-12-14, 08:03 AM
thanks Geo

hopefully i'll get more opinions here as well

i'd go for this:

UL Certificated LED Power Supply 110-220V AC to 12V DC [HK-ID-ULPS-12-X] - $7.90 : LEDLIGHTSWORLD.COM

just wondering if 24W or 36W....

as you said, 1.5w x 14.75 FT = 22.12w

Old 10-12-14, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
One slightly off topic question. Why did Sheetrock have to be disturbed? 120 volt connections by code must remain accessible. The 120 connection and thus the transformer shouldn't have been buried. Also the buried transformer might have been more likely to overheat.

Old 10-12-14, 10:43 AM
I would go for the 36 watt,Ray makes a good point these power supplies can't be buried and should have good ventilation,heat created by to much load or lack of ventilation would cause it to shut down on over temp.
Geo

Old 10-12-14, 11:59 AM
i asked them to make them as much invisible as possible at that time, because its a high end clothing boutique but for sure didnt ask to break codes or common sense and proper functioning

Old 10-13-14, 06:52 PM
Received 21 Votes on 16 Posts
The transformer being overheated may have contributed to or caused the blinking problem.

Old 10-13-14, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just to add: transformer may contain a thermal protector that resets automatically. Heats up, power off, power off, cools down, thermal protector resets, power back on, heats up, thermal protector turns off and so forth. You see the same think in recessed lights with oversize bulbs or failing thermal protectors.