Track lighting problem

Old 10-14-14, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Track lighting problem

Hi,

I have 3 sets of track lights, each with two fixtures, attached to the same dimmer switch. 2 sets have the little transformers and MR16 bulbs, 1 has the GU10 bulbs (and I think runs on mains power). All WERE working. I wanted to pull one of the GU10 fixtures down (to confirm the bulb). I turned the power off at the switch, and pulled the fixture. When I put it back up and turned the power back on, the other two tracks lit fine but neither of the fixtures on the GU10 track turned on at all.

I tested and am getting just shy of 100vac at the connection to the track. I have continuity between each terminal (where the mains connects to the track) and the far end of each of the conductive strips inside the track. Each fixture has continuity from where it contacts with the conductive strips to the socket for the halogen bulb at both sides. And I tried putting new bulbs in each one.

I haven't had any luck.

I can accept if I have to go buy either new fixtures or a new track but I would at least like to be able to confirm what is broken.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS. I think I used the right terms above, but am not an electrician (or even all that handy) so I apologize if I got something wrong and it's confusing.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-14, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You've checked the voltage at the connector or supply end. If you pull the end cap off the other end you can measure the voltage at the conductive rails. A common failure point is where the connector attaches to the track.

Many times when the connector is attached to the track..... one or both of the rails will slide inside the track. Sometimes the connector just touches the rails and the lights work. When you move a fixture it can also cause one of the rails to move and open up the connection at the connector end.