How to convert recessed light that uses GX24q-3 to hang pendant?

Old 10-21-14, 10:38 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to convert recessed light that uses GX24q-3 to hang pendant?

Hello, this is what I did:
- got a GX24Q-3 converting base, plugged it in the 4-pin plug and converted it to a screw-in plug for an E26 base
- got a recessed light converter kit, screwed the mouse tail into the E26 base, connected the wires from the mouse tail to those of my pendant

It should work right? except when I turned on the light switch, the pendant turned on for about 2-3 minutes and turned off by itself! I thought I did some wiring wrong, but didn't have time to troubleshoot it then... I came back the next day, turned the light switch on, there it goes: on for 2-3 minutes then off! It seems to only does that after the fixture cool off a little bit, because if I turn it off and turn it right back on, it won't come on? I have no idea? Should I contact a real electrician to take care of this? Help please!

Old 10-21-14, 11:22 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Recessed lights contain a thermal protector. The new bulb may be overheating the thermal protector.

Old 10-22-14, 05:23 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to by past the ballast that comes with the GX24q-3?

I just now found out that for the GS24q to E27 converter to function properly, I need to by-past the ballast - anybody knows how to do this? please?

Old 10-22-14, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Upvotes on 179 Posts
California has legislation called Title 24 that calls for energy efficient lighting. The adapter may not satisfy that requirement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: