Electric spike through open circuit.....?

Old 10-24-14, 08:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric spike through open circuit.....?

Hi All,

I'm having a rather frightening problem with a circuit in an addition I recently built, and need advice.

I did my own electrical work, in accordance with documents, diagrams and oversight by a licensed electrician.

The problem: When I change speeds of a ceiling fan with a rotating "CLICK" switch, the lamp that's plugged into an outlet 3' from the switch blinks/flashes, even though the switch is OFF. We have recently plugged a decorative wall fireplace (fake) into the outlet, and when we change the fan speed, the colored lamps that make the fireplace light up flash brilliantly and swiftly, almost like a welder's arc.

How is it possible to light a lamp when the lamp switch is in the OFF position?

This is pretty frightful in the dark of night, but knowing that it is happening makes me concerned for safety reasons.

Any help offered will be GREATLY appreciated!!

THANKS!
Swa

Old 10-24-14, 09:02 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is every thing on the same breaker?

Old 10-24-14, 10:38 AM
S
Yes, 4 duplex oulets (this is a bedroom, so only a couple clocks and a TV and two lamps are frequently used) are on a single NEW breaker installed just for this room.

Old 10-24-14, 11:09 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
When I change speeds of a ceiling fan with a rotating "CLICK" switch,
Is this a fan speed switch. Tell us all the wiring in the switch box and at the fan box.

Old 10-24-14, 03:45 PM
S
Yes, it is a fan speed switch by specification, not to be confused with a dimmer switch. It was purchased at LOWE'S, where I have on more than one occasion been served defective merchandise.

The switch box is a 3-gand and includes a flip-switch for the fan LIGHT, the rotating fan speed switch, and another switch for two wall sconces. The hot leg continues on to feed two duplex outlets on the same wall.

Still can't fathom electricity having the ability to "jump" across an open switch and blink a lamp.

Thanks for trying to help me out. I appreciate it!!

Swa

Old 10-24-14, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
the lamp that's plugged into an outlet 3' from the switch blinks/flashes, even though the switch is OFF
It appears that there are little things going on here. So far I don't see anything dangerous.

I'd like to focus on the light. This cannot be an ordinary light. Is it "touch" for lamp operation ?
It can't be a standard push switch or turn knob lamp socket with standard incandescent bulb. Those are mechanical switches and they are either on or off.
Does it have a dimmer in it ?

Old 10-24-14, 08:40 PM
S
Yes, the lamp that formerly occupied the outlet was a "touch" lamp, so I thought that it may have been triggered by a minimum of stray current that passed by it via the hot leg..........until the incident happened last night with the light string that is built in to the fake fireplace.
The fireplace and the background lights to it were OFF, but when my wife changed the fan speed, the
lights flashed frantically for a fraction of a second.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: