Trying to figure a light switch wiring

Old 10-28-14, 06:29 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Trying to figure a light switch wiring

My father in law was trying to be helpful in our renovation of our house. I installed a ceiling fan in a bedroom, everything worked fine. However, he replaced the light switch in the room and now it does not affect the power going to the fan, it has constant power. I took the switch out and discovered a mess of wires.Name:  wiring pic.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  23.6 KB

The wires coming in from the top are "hot" There is a white that has constant power, black, red (that has a wire nut on it), and ground. The wires on the right control an outlet, the wires on the left control the fan??. I'm not sure what to do from here. Obviously the outlets need constant power, but I want the fan to power on and off from the switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-28-14, 08:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The wires coming in from the top are "hot" There is a white that has constant power, black, red (that has a wire nut on it)
Sounds like a 3-conductor cable. It probably comes from the fan. Disconnect that cable and with a multimeter measure white to red and black to white. Disconnect each of the 2-conductor cables in the box and measure black to white. (A non contact tester won't work for the testing. A cheap analog multimeter is better than a digital multimeter for this.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: