Two ceiling fans failing

Old 10-28-14, 07:30 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two ceiling fans failing

Hi all,

I'm having a weird issue that I'm having trouble diagnosing and wonder if anyone can provide some advice. I have two remote controlled Harbor Breeze fans on the second floor of my home: one in the master bedroom and another in a room across the hall. When I moved in, the fan in the master would work sporadically, the light would come on, but the fan would not spin above the Low setting, or even reach the Low setting speed. It would just spin slowly. The remote was unresponsive and if I used the pull chains, the light would not come on and the same fan speed would be produced. Eventually, the light stopped coming on altogether and I could only get that same slow fan speed.

Tonight, the other fan has failed. I had the light on (this room is my office) and after feeling hot, I hit the button to make the fan go higher. It would not go above Low, even if I pushed the Med or Hi buttons on the remote. Then, the light started to flicker very fast and dimmed, then died altogether. Pulling the pull chain does not turn it back on and the only way to turn the fan blades off (the pull chain for the blades is tucked into the light fixture, is to flick the wall switch off. The fan blades for both fans turn on and spin when activated, but nothing higher than low setting.

Now I'm wondering what could the issue be. Is it a wiring issue for these two fans? Are the remote control receivers in the fans bad or the fans just dead? I've seen a bunch of possible culprits in my online searches, but none of the scenarios match mine so I felt I would ask. I wonder if this is something I can fix myself or if I'm better off calling an electrician since the fans are still good, but the wiring is shot.

Old 10-29-14, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If the fans have pull chains, they must be set at the highest speed for the remotes to work properly. Weak batteries in the remotes can cause them to work poorly. I wouldn't look too much at the wiring leading to the fan being at fault, although internal wiring nuts can come loose. I'd check that by dropping the fan bell and ensuring proper fit of the bcaps on the wiring. Fans don't last forever. What brand are they. Do they look as if they are top of the line fans? Is replacement a viable option?

Old 10-29-14, 03:49 AM
M
Harbor Breeze is the brand. Yes, replacement is an option, but I didn't want to buy new fans if it was a wiring issue and the new fans would fail too. It's just weird that two fans in separate rooms would have the exact same issue within a week of each other.

I'm not sure it's a remote battery issue because then the light would still come on if the pull chain was used.

Old 10-29-14, 04:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
The light must be on for the remote to turn it off and on properly. Think about it. The fans (like light bulbs) are the same age. They have had the same life. If one dies, it can be a short time before the other one suffers the same fate. Check the batteries, and check the wiring under the bell.

Old 10-29-14, 04:49 AM
M
Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll check those both out

Old 10-29-14, 01:35 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If the above instructions fail, and if you have the owner's manual, you can usually switch the wiring to bypass the remote. That would tell you if the remote is shot or if the fan itself is bad. I have a couple of Harbor Breeze paddle fans and had to replace the remote receiver in one this spring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: