Garage Lighting Suggestion

Old 10-31-14, 08:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage Lighting Suggestion

So, right now all I have as light sources in my two-cars garage is a single 23w (100 w equiv) CFL light bulb and whatever light that comes out of the garage door opener unit. This is, of course, less than optimal lighting especially given the 'warm-up' time needed by the CFL. As such, I'm hoping for easy to do suggestions in terms of alternate lighting? I'm thinking track lighting with LED floods, thoughts? I don't have a workshop or anything in the garage, so I'm basically looking only for a brighter/more coverage lighting source. Any thoughts?

Old 10-31-14, 09:55 AM
Bam.
Lithonia Lighting | 4 Ft. T8 2L Wraparound | Home Depot Canada

Toss 6 lights in, 3 in a row centered with each parking stall. Or at least 4, 2 per row. Put in 4100K tubes and you're looking like an operating room.

Old 10-31-14, 03:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
A 23W CFL is not equivalent to a 100W incandescent bulb. It's all a lie. Reinstall the 100W incandescent & I bet you have all the light you need.

Old 11-01-14, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
If you want easy, install a 300 watt equivalent CFL or LED bulb. You can find them online.

Otherwise I would follow Mr Awesome's line of thinking, but suggest installing a 8' 4 lamp strip fixture like this:

Lithonia Lighting Tandem 4-Light Flush Mount Ceiling Electronic Fluorescent White Strip Light-TC 2 32 120 1/4 GESB at The Home Depot

You can install T8 florescent lamps that perform much better than a CFL, or LED tubes are also available.

Old 11-01-14, 06:39 AM
Received 187 Upvotes on 168 Posts
A 23W CFL is not equivalent to a 100W incandescent bulb. It's all a lie. Reinstall the 100W incandescent & I bet you have all the light you need.
Where would you find a 100W incandescent bulb these days since they aren't manufactured anymore?

I agree with Tolyn's suggestion, you can get a similar fixture (different brand) from other box stores as well for about that same price too. They also have 0 degree start electronic ballasts and come on instantly.

Old 11-01-14, 10:42 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Even a 75W bulb would solve the problem. CFL seems to be a failure but no one wants to admit it.

Old 11-03-14, 07:22 PM
Even a 75W bulb would solve the problem.
Same problem, they are no longer manufactured.

CFL seems to be a failure but no one wants to admit it.
I don't think so. Compact Fluorescent lamps have been used successfully in commercial applications for many years and are still spec'd daily. They generally have long life, offer the availability of several color options and simply plug into a socket making them easy to change. Replacement sockets are however a little hard to find, but they aren't needed that often. I have heard a lot of complaints on the self ballasted Compact Fluorescent Lamps usually centering around short life, but my own personal experience with them has been good. I can only remember replacing three self ballasted CFLs at home in the last 10 to 12 years.

Old 11-03-14, 08:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/28/bu...anted=all&_r=0

I'm not the only one who doesn't like them.

Old 11-03-14, 10:24 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I have a mix of lights throughout my house and garage. The twisty CFLs I use in the bathroom and outside lights and they are very good. I have some LED reflectors that seem goods so far, some almost three years old and one (dimmable) less than one year old. The outside lights are on a photocell and I have gotten a range of lifespans as short as a year to as much as three years. Not bad for bulbs I pay less than a buck a piece for on sale.

My experience with reflector type CFLs has not been good. They take forever (at least five full minutes) to come to full brightness and they last no longer than incandescent reflector bulbs, maybe even not as long as I remember changing more CFL reflectors than incandescent.

One thing about LED bulbs is that they DO put out less and less light as they age. The one above my desk is about three years old and I just noticed that it is appreciably dimmer than when I installed it. Or maybe it just seems that way since the CFL reflector a few feet further away died last night.

Another thing about LED reflector bulbs; I was at Wally*World early this morning and specifically looked for a replacement for the CFL that died. Of the "65 watt equivalent" bulbs they had lumen ratings from about 700 to 900 and pricing from about $12 to $29. All were made in China regardless of the name on the package. I didn't buy any of them.

Old 11-04-14, 07:48 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/28/bu...anted=all&_r=0

I'm not the only one who doesn't like them.
The complaints are on the self ballasted type Compact Fluorescent lamps. I have had pretty good luck with them at home. Do you have any complaints on just the original normal Compact Fluorescent Lamps?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/4...-fluorescents/

Old 11-04-14, 08:01 AM
F
I put in a couple of porch light fixtures when those original compact fluorescent fixtures came on my parent's home. Mostly just had trouble with them crapping out.

I have MUCH better luck with the self-ballasted twisties. There ARE quality control problems with the self-ballasted CFLs as I have stated previously. Some will last only a year or less in my outside porch light fixtures and some have been going for more than three years with out problem. These lights probably average about 4,000 hours a year being on a photocell. I am seriously thinking of adding a cheap watt hour/running time meter to the circuit to actually monitor the power used and the number of hours they are lit.

Old 11-04-14, 10:51 AM
I put in a couple of porch light fixtures when those original compact fluorescent fixtures came on my parent's home. Mostly just had trouble with them crapping out.
I'd bet those original CFL fixtures were the 2-pin type with magnetic ballasts. The 4-pin lamps operating from electronic ballasts are by far the best.

Old 11-04-14, 11:23 AM
F
Could have been, it was at least thirty years ago and the house is long gone now with an apartment or condo building in its place.

Old 11-12-14, 04:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I happened to see 75W & 100W incandescent bulbs in the store today. So some places still have them even though they aren't manufactured anymore.

Old 11-12-14, 05:32 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do a little search for hard duty or garage door opener light bubs. The big boxes have 100 watt and even 150 watt bulbs available.

Old 11-12-14, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
General purpose higher wattage incandescent bulbs are no longer made, but special purpose bulbs are still available.

Old 11-13-14, 03:35 PM
For sale, not manufactured anymore - Philips | 40W T12 48 Inches Cool White- Supreme - 2 pack | Home Depot Canada

For sale, not manufactured anymore - Advance | Electronic Ballast REL2S110 - 2xF48T12 or F60T12 or F72T12 or F96T12HO | Home Depot Canada

For sale, not manufactured anymore - Philips | 200W Clear Medium Bulb | Home Depot Canada

Either the reports are not true, or the are indeed not manufactured but will still be for sale until the warehouses full of them dry up.
And if incandescent dies, how will my easy bake oven bake with LED?

Old 11-13-14, 04:47 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
My statement was in answer to Casual Joe's question:
Where would you find a 100W incandescent bulb these days since they aren't manufactured anymore?

I happened to find some & I bought them.

Old 11-13-14, 09:48 PM
F
When I bought the last eight-foot, two-tube, high output florescent fixture for my garage/shop I also bought a box of tubes knowing that they may be discontinued in the near future. I now have at least twenty tubes (for six two-tube fixtures) and that should last well past the time I croak.

Old 11-14-14, 08:07 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That's what I was thinking as well. I want to have some extras that should last me for awhile. I think that the entire thing is a scam, to make more money.

Old 11-14-14, 11:29 AM
Who is making more money?
I think it is great to phase out high wattage bulbs. Can you imagine the load taken off a power grid if every bulb in the country was changed to an LED? 60W bulbs in millions of homes dropped to 9W, 100W - 400W street lights and exterior lights dropped to 50W - 200W?
I worked at a hotel that paid $125,000 to switch out every T12 fluorescent light in the building to T8. The project paid itself off in only 2 years with the money saved on their electric bills. Now they're laughing as they continue to save.
And beyond money, theres the whole sciency end of it where there would be less heat produced and global warming etc. etc. etc.
You need to look at the big picture instead of focusing on how you personally used to buy $1 bulbs and now you're stuck buying $5 bulbs.

Old 11-14-14, 05:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I am looking at the big picture & customers should have a choice. Why are the people who are stuck buying what they can't afford, at the bottom of the list? Once again, the government (both parties) has acquiesced to corporate interest. It will never change.

Who's making the money? The corporations are making the money.

General Electric And Cree: 2 Ways To Profit From The LED Opportunity - Cree, Inc. (NASDAQ:CREE) | Seeking Alpha

prFocus.com :: Business :: High-Profits-Hit-the-LED-Light-Manufacturers-in-2014

Old 11-14-14, 06:00 PM
Of course theyre making money. Anyone producing any product is going to produce what is in demand.
Customers do have choices. Buy a $3 CFL, buy a $20 LED, buy halogen, buy flourescent, or be smart and take advantage of rebates from your POCO and get LED for $5 a bulb before the rebates disappear. If $5 for a bulb is absolutely unaffordable, then you may be living beyond your means and should take a look at your budget.
And if one is currently rocking incandescent everywhere and upgrade to cfl or led, theyre going to get their money back when theyre eliminating 25 - 50W per bulb.
It is smart to do things to lower the load on a power grid. In the long run, less need to upgrade the grid and less power being demanded means savings to the consumer.

Old 11-14-14, 06:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
This new bulbs are only in demand because some politicians made the others illegal. Sure, blame it on the victims for not being able to afford the $5 & wait for some rebate, 6 months later!. I don't think so. Some of us rent apartments & aren't homeowners. Renters aren't getting the 50W savings per bulb & landlords refuse to pay for bulbs. I'm sure that you have a nice house with a leather couch but not everyone is in your upper middle class world.

Old 11-14-14, 07:11 PM
Not even close. I'm not pulling in enough to qualify for a decent house so I'm stuck renting, for a great price in my city, at $1,250/month, rocking an old hand me down couch. And I'm saying $5 to not live in darkness is affordable.
There are some occasions where the government forcing something upon its people is a good thing, and forcing us to lower our energy consumption is one of them.
And I just realized this argument has come down to $5 vs. $1 which is ridiculous, so this will be my final post on the subject.

Old 11-14-14, 07:16 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
$5 vs $1 is ridiculous to you but to some, it's all the difference in the world. Government forced control, in this case, is not a good thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: