Garage Lighting Help

Old 11-02-14, 05:41 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage Lighting Help

First off, Hello. I'm a new home owner and after renting for the last 8 or so years, I'm very excited to be able to change things to how I want.

Anyway, I have a single car (bummer right?) garage with a single, sad, 60 watt bulb to light it. I'd like to update the lighting to something like the t8 tube style lights, and if possible, wire two sets in.

I haven't been able to find a decent guide on doing the conversion. Most youtube videos I've watched have had some pretty negative comments saying that they're doing it wrong, which I don't want to do. If anyone has a good link to a walkthrough, It'd be much appreciated.

bonus: Is it possible to run more than one set off the same switch? Can I just wire two fixtures in parallel off the original? If so, any tips, tricks, suggestions?

I try to search as much as possible before asking, but I guess I didn't know the right way to word it. Thanks in advance for the help. I'm very excited to get hands on.

Old 11-02-14, 05:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jake!

You can run multiple lights off of one switch. I have about 20 4' fluorescent bulbs in the main part of my shop and they are controlled by 2 switches. The electricians should be along later with more/better info for you.

Old 11-02-14, 06:43 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Wiring Simplified is a good book for learning the basics. Amazon and other online retailers sell it and you can sometimes find it in the electrical aisle at the home improvement stores.

We can walk you through installing lights. You can just remove the existing light and connect to it using the same two wires that are connected to the existing light. If there are any other connections in the box do not touch them.
Can I just wire two fixtures in parallel off the original?
Yes. If you often park a high vehicle like a minivan in the garage you may want to put the lights on each side of the garage rather then down the middle.

Old 11-02-14, 06:51 AM
J
After some thought, I think I'm going to only need one light fixture, the garage isn't that big. I may try to just convert the light fixture to a grounded outlet and try to find a surface mount light with a plug, if those exist, or wire one up. I can't run a hanging shoplight because it'll be in the way of the garage door when it opens. Hopefully this way, I'll have an extra plug to run a work light for detail work in those hard to reach places.

Old 11-02-14, 06:54 AM
J
Thanks for that, my biggest concern was wondering what to do when there's 2 to 3 wires or vice versa. That'll make things a lot easier. You guys rock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: