lighted ceiling fan > chandelier

Old 11-02-14, 10:42 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
lighted ceiling fan > chandelier

New to the forum and not particularly skilled! I removed an old single light ceiling fan from a bedroom. The light and fan were controlled by separate switches. Obviously, I only needed one hot wire for the fixture I was adding, but was uncertain what to do with the other one. I connected both to the matching hot wire on the light fixture and capped it off. It sounds as if I should have traced the second hot wire to its source, capped it, then capped it off at the fixture as well. The light is working perfectly, and is only activated by one switch, not both. BUT, now I am concerned it may be a fire hazard. Do I need to rewire it?

Old 11-02-14, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,156 Upvotes on 3,732 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

No need to do any rewiring. Just cap the wire at the light junction box. Leave that wire intact in case you want to use it again in the future.

Old 11-02-14, 11:01 AM
S
consequences?

So bad to leave it then, right? It isn't my dream house, but burning it down is probably not the best solution! The home is 11 years old, where would I find the junction box? Thank YOU!

Old 11-02-14, 12:21 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
So bad to leave it then
No, as PJ wrote, "not bad".

Old 11-02-14, 07:42 PM
S
Okay, I'll try to figure out where the junction box is and cap off one of the wires. Another question… replacing a bathroom wall fixture, and the old fixture had sheathed wiring coming through an interior wall with insulation around it. They fit the connections inside the back panel of the fixture. The ground on both the fixture and exposed portion of sheathing is uninsulated. Is it important to fit all of the wiring connections within the fixture itself when insulation is present, even if the live/neutral connections are completely contained within their respective connectors?

Old 11-02-14, 08:10 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'll try to figure out where the junction box is
The junction box is what the chandelier is fastened to.
replacing a bathroom wall fixture.... The ground on both the fixture and exposed portion of sheathing is uninsulated. Is it important to fit all of the wiring connections within the fixture itself when insulation is present,
If the previous fixture was a bar light it may have been rated as a junction box. If there was no junction box for the previous light and the new fixture is not a bar light then the new fixture is probably not rated as a junction box and you need to install a junction box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: