Need some ideas for a lamp that I want to make!

Old 11-12-14, 07:13 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some ideas for a lamp that I want to make!

Hey guys I recently got hold of some small russian gas mask, I at least think it's russian. I hanged it on my wall and got the idea that it would make a great lamp. Now I'm not that great with electronic stuff so I'm turning to you guys. What would be the safest way to install a light bulb in this?

Here are two pictures of the mask and how I want to do it.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. Light bulb coming out of the tube and maybe some red plastic for the eyes to create some kind of glow. Will this be hard to construct for someone like me, a guy with no electrical knowledge?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-14, 01:40 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
To make something to sell incurs extra liability. The cost of mitigating that liability such as UL testing would cost far more then you would make selling the lamp.

I would suggest if your going to do it use a low voltage LED light source and "wall wart" type power supply. Much safe and no real code issues (I know of). Here is an example of medium base 12 volt LED bulbs. http://www.ebay.com/cln/daysgonebyla...bs/88843514016

Medium base is the same as a 120 volt bulb so you could use a 120 volt lamp type bulb holder inserted into the hose.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-12-14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-13-14, 03:03 AM
H
Hey Ray, I never planned on actually selling this. I just wanted to spice up my walls a bit! I like the idea of using a wall-wart, didn't actually think about that. How would I go on about connecting the wall-wart to the bulb though? Any adapters out there?

Old 12-03-14, 01:32 PM
F
Hey Mike - Don't know if you're still working on this, but one solution that requires no wiring is to feed a gooseneck lamp through the air hose. All you'd have to do is strip it of the parts you don't need, like the shade.
Something like this: Lite Source Gooseneck Reading 12'' H Table Lamp with Bowl Shade; Black | StaplesĀ®

For the eyes, put a small LED light in the mask and they'll glow whatever color you choose.

Old 12-03-14, 01:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How would I go on about connecting the wall-wart to the bulb though?
The bulb I posted is a medium base (AKA Edison) so you would just use a regular lamp light socket.

Name:  sub-0028-05.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  43.7 KB

You would need a DC wall wart. After verifying polarity by testing to see if the bulb lights up just glue it in the hose or use a hose clamp.