Replacing ceiling light, but now whole circuit is dead

Old 11-20-14, 11:01 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry for getting your gender wrong.

Latest pictures show a mess but most is phone. One obvious violation is the light fixture, no box. You seem to have knob and tube wiring. Do you see knob and tube in the attic too?

But back to your current problem. Follow PJ's instructions and lets see what happens.

Old 11-20-14, 11:43 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem! I didn't realize my username was gender non-specific until I started being referred to as a "he".

I think the knob and tube is abandoned. That's the only evidence I can find of it. I don't have a ladder to get up to the attic, but I don't recall seeing it during the inspection, and the inspection report makes no note of knob and tube. I don't think I would have been able to get my mortgage loan if it was.

I followed PJ's instructions and got the ceiling light working, but the receptacles are still dead, as are the basement lights, which are on the same circuit.

Old 11-20-14, 12:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You have identified two of the cables. I will call the other two cables load.
  • Connect the marked white of the switch leg cable to the black wire of the hot cable and the blacks of the two load cables.
  • Connect the black wire of the light to the black wire of the switch leg/loop.
  • Connect the white wires of the hot, two loads, and the light together.
  • Connect grounds per code.

A crude diagram:

Name:  Sw_Loopb-1_zps03f87552.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  27.7 KB

Old 11-30-14, 03:07 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to update that I haven't abandoned the thread and will post progress soon. I hit a mental block where I just didn't want to deal with this issue any longer and decided to go back to it later. Now that I'm back, I've reviewed the last post and I just can't wrap my head around it. I am not going to give up on home wiring or understanding concepts of electricity, but it does seem to be one area where I struggle.

On the other hand, after the Thanksgiving storm which knocked my electricity and heat out for 50 hours, I have a new found appreciation for all things light and warm. During the outage, I found an old book I had tucked away and am happy to say that it's been helpful in understanding how things work. I started reading at 4:30 am when I woke up to a chilly 50 degrees in my home.
Name:  outage.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  19.9 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: