Ceiling Light / Light Switch wiring

Old 11-16-14, 11:56 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Light / Light Switch wiring

Hello!

I was attempting to install a new ceiling light in my kitchen and change my light switches, but I seem to have confused myself. I thought perhaps removing both light switches and starting over would make things easier to put back together, but I seem to have more cables than I need?

I'm including three pictures that may help guide me in the right direction. The box where the two light switches were installed, power comes in from (f) and splits into (f1) & (f2), along with an image of the kitchen ceiling box and the new lamp.

I think it is also important to note that an outlet behind my over stopped working when the ceiling light was unplugged and I think all the white cables were tied together when I removed the original lamp. I would really appreciate any help guys so I can get my kitchen out of the dark!

Thank you,

Elle

Name:  switch box.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  31.0 KBName:  ceiling.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  27.9 KBName:  light.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  30.7 KB

Old 11-16-14, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Elle..... you took too many connections apart. When you change switches you do them one at a time and replace the wiring one for one.

Let's take a crack at this.

Before following the directions below.... did the two switches control two ceiling lights ?

In the switchbox.... connect all three white wires back together.
I'm going to assume when you removed the switches.... you had three wires on one of them.
D should go to the red F wirenut.
B and F1 is one switch and R and F2 is the other switch.

At the ceiling box.... connect the two whites together and your light white wires will also connect here.
Connect the two black wires together and cap them.
Connect the remaining red wire to the black light wires.

Be careful.... the insulation looks old on that wiring and will crack and fall off easily.

Old 11-16-14, 01:14 PM
E
One light switch controlled the ceiling light in my kitchen, to the left of the light switch, the other controlled an outlet (a standing lamp is plugged in as the light source) on the wall to the right of the light switch.

Also, when you say R and F2, do you mean "C" instead of "R" in that image? I realize the red cable is also in the ceiling box image labeled as "R".

I'll wait for a response before changing anything.

Old 11-17-14, 02:27 PM
E
I tried what you suggested, it worked!
Thank you so much!

Old 11-17-14, 02:58 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: