Hang Pendant in Daisy Chain with Canned Lights using Separate Switch

Old 11-17-14, 05:28 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hang Pendant in Daisy Chain with Canned Lights using Separate Switch

Hi, my builder's electrician apparently daisy chained all of our canned lights in our den. The junction box for our pendant light did not include exposed wires, so we cut the wires, and capped three wires each for the hot and neutral wires with the pendant light and installed the ground wire. When I was finished, the pendant light turned on, but none of the canned lights did. Also, there was a yellow wire coming out of the junction box which I did not use but am thinking that would help me to wire this pendant to a different light switch so that I can turn it on and off separately from the canned lights, but I cannot figure out how which wires to connect it to. The canned lights run off a three way switch, but the pendant light would not. Any thoughts on how to get both my canned lights and pendant lights working and from separate switches? Thanks in advance for help!

Old 11-17-14, 09:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
so we cut the wires, and capped three wires each for the hot and neutral wires with the pendant light and installed the ground
Put them back the way they were. (If it ain't broke don't fix it.). Do the recessed lights now work? Try connecting the pendant to yellow and white.

Old 11-17-14, 11:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
The yellow was probably the switched hot for the fixture.

Old 11-17-14, 06:51 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks both pcboss and ray2047 for the replies. I believe the yellow wire is a switch leg. I ended up connecting the yellow wire to the hot wires for both the junction and the light fixture and the neutrals from the junction and the light fixture together. That works. I get both the canned lights on and the pendant light. BUT the two wall switches now BOTH turn on BOTH lights and I want to know how to get just the pendant light connected to the separate switch leg. Can I just connect the hot wire from the light fixture to the switch leg and ignore the hot wires from the daisy chain for the canned lights? And if I do that, then do I still connect the neutral from the light fixture into the daisy chain neutral? Hopefully, that makes sense. Thank you!

Old 11-17-14, 07:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Can I just connect the hot wire from the light fixture to the switch leg and ignore the hot wires from the daisy chain for the canned lights?
That is the correct way.
do that, then do I still connect the neutral from the light fixture into the daisy chain neutral?
Yes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: