Replacing existing ceiling fan

Old 11-17-14, 01:52 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing existing ceiling fan

Hello all!

I recently attempted to replace an existing ceiling fan/light with a brand new ceiling fan/light. The existing fan/light were on a dual-dimmer switch. One dimmer knob controlled the light and the other dimmer knob controlled the fan.

So....I took down the old fan/light and installed the new fan/light. I did not touch anything at the switch. However, now the fan dimmer knob is controlling the light and the light dimmer knob is controlling the fan. Also...the light on the fan will start out bright and then dim as you turn the dimmer knob which is opposite of the way it worked before.

The wiring in the ceiling had (2) cables:
black/white/ground
and then
black/white/red/ground.

The black wires were and still are connected together in the ceiling junction box. All the grounds are together as well, including the ground from the fan.

I believe that I took the white wire from the fan and connected it to the first cable's white wire.

Then, the black wire from the fan to the white wire of the second cable.

Finally, the blue wire from the fan to the red wire of the second cable.

Does that sound correct or did I mess this up?

Old 11-17-14, 02:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
and the other dimmer knob controlled the fan.
Assuming the correct device was used that was not a dimmer. That was a speed control.
the light on the fan will start out bright and then dim as you turn the dimmer knob which is opposite of the way it worked before.
That is because it is on a the speed control. That is how speed controls work. Swap your connections on the blue and black fan wires.

A bit confused following you description so I just gave the obvious fix. You lack of differentiation between the 3-conductor cable and two conductor cable made it hard to follow but what I would expect is:
  1. 2-conductor black to 2-conductor white.
  2. 2-conductor white to fan white.
  3. 3-conductor black to fan black.
  4. 3-conductor red to fan blue.
The last two connection on yours though seem to be swapped at the switch box so try 3-conductor red to fan black and 3-conductor black to fan blue.

If you connections differ from the first two above stop and post back.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-17-14 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-18-14, 06:08 AM
P
Thanks for the reply.

In my situation the 2-conductor black and 3-conductor black were already tied together. Should I undo them and re-wire like you outlined?

Does it matter that there are also wall receptacles on the same circuit? When I turned off the breaker to do the install it turned off the receptacles in the room above the fan.

Old 11-18-14, 07:59 AM
Please tell us all the wires and connections at the switch.

Old 11-24-14, 06:29 AM
P
Just reporting back in...

I swapped the way I had the fan blue and fan black wires attached to the 3-conductor cable. Basically, I did fan blue to 3-conductor black and fan black to 3-conductor red.

The light control knob now controls the light correctly and the fan control knob controls the fan correctly.

This project is now done...except...the wife now wants a different color dimmer/fan speed control switch. Apparently the existing almond doesn't match the rest of the room...so...I just ordered a new dimmer/fan speed control in brown.

Old 11-24-14, 07:44 AM
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: