Soffit pot light questions...

Old 11-26-14, 09:30 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soffit pot light questions...

I am looking to add some soffit pot lights to my house. The attic has batt insulation and the soffits are solid with vents every 6 feet or so. I want to ,know what lights will be best to use and what would be the easiest style to install? I am looking at adding some more blown in insulation to up the R value of the attic so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-26-14, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,575 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Probably a 4" remodel can, but it depends on how much headroom you have... you didn't tell us how wide the soffit is, how tall the fascia is, or what your roof pitch is. If you have plenty of room you might be able to use a 6" remodel can. Depends on what kind of light you want... just an accent light, or do you actually want some heavy duty wattage out there?

When you go to locate the position, look for the nails in your soffit so as to avoid the framing.

Attic insulation will not affect the lighting since there should never be any insulation inside the soffits.

Old 11-26-14, 10:01 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Insulation of any type should not be out over the soffits unless you have something like a Garrison style home.
What was used to build the soffits, plywood, vinyl, aluminum?
If it's plywood I'd be using remodeling can, that would allow you to make the hole, drop the wire down through the hole and make all your connections from down below the soffit outside where there's more room to work. Then just push the can into the hole and let it snap in place.
May want to consider shower rated cans, the gasket may help to keep out bugs.
There's going to very little room to fit a can light because of the roof being in the way so get some measurements before buying the lights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: