Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Old 11-27-14, 10:15 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Works, Fan Doesn't

The Broan unit is only a couple of years old and I rarely run the fan because I don't have it properly vented to the outside. But I noticed the other day it quit working. I pulled the cover down and spun the fan. It spins fine. I jumpered power directly to the fan and nothing.

Any ideas? I don't understand how the motor can be dead.

Old 11-27-14, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 626 Likes on 535 Posts
If you jumpered power to the fan from a known good source and it did not work it is dead. Not sure why as most fans will run for many years.

Old 11-27-14, 10:41 AM
F
Bummer. Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 11-27-14, 03:53 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why in the word did you not vent it to the outside?
How exactly did you "jump it"?
Checked incoming power with a real volt OHM meter to the fan?

Old 11-28-14, 01:23 AM
H
I agree you probably should check it with a volt meter but if I am remembering this right with our new fan with our recent remodel within almost a year the fan plugs into a socket so using a non GFIC plug that you know can't be tripped would tell you if it works or not. Done with care of course as those blades are sharp. With this being Broan though that is a good brand and maybe even though it may no longer be in warranty they will give you a new fan housing.

You really need to address proper ventilation to the outside as if you don't do that with even the most basic of vents you will start to get mold to build up on the roof rafters. This same rule applies no matter where you live and mold can be extremely hard to kill once it settles in I know because our house has had mold problems. It is too cold to do anything now about proper ventilation but once it gets warmer please either hire someone to properly vent the fan or do it yourself if you feel safe on roofs.

Old 11-28-14, 07:34 AM
F
I jumped with a power cord that I cut off from a lamp or something that I keep around for such uses. And then I have some automotive jumper wires that I used to attach to the male pins coming from the fan connector. Used alligator clips to attach the leads together and plugged it in to a non GFC outlet.

I also checked it with an ohmmeter and it was OL. So...it's definitely dead.

I don't remember why I didn't vent it at the time. I think I was just waiting until I had my roof redone since the house had 3 layers of shingles when I bought it. But I just came across an article in Handyman magazine showing that you don't need to bother with pulling up shingles. Just cut thru them with a circular saw. So, I think I will try that in the spring.

Regardless, that is why I don't use the fan when I shower. Because it is not properly vented.

Old 11-28-14, 08:32 AM
Replace the fan/motor. As suggested above, you may be able to get a replacement free of charge.
My point is that once fan is fixed, I would use it even though it doesn't vent to outside. Get it vented outside when you can do it. In the meantime, it will at least circulate the air in the room and help a little. Of course this is not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

If you do use it for recirculating, ensure the air is not flowing into attic. Unit should be sealed by factory until ready to be vented outside.

Old 11-29-14, 02:53 PM
R
try to check every cord well maybe it is not replaced well or something like that

Old 11-29-14, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Please read the thread and reply accordingly. The OP checked the motor and it showed no continuity. The wire is part of the motor and is not replaceable just like most other exhaust vent motors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: