porch light not working from time to time

Old 11-30-14, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
porch light not working from time to time

My porch light won't work sometimes actually quite often. I turn the 2 way switch on and the light won't come on usually couple hours later with switch left on the on position the light will turn on other times it immediately turns on. The light doesn't have a timer or a sensor to check for light and has a standard 60 watt incandescent bulb. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-14, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You may have a "soft" switch. I would start first by changing the switch to see if that changes things. In addition if the original switch has its wires stabbed into the back of the switch body, strip the wires and use the screw connections on the new switch. Stab backs are notorious for funky operation.

Old 11-30-14, 04:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
I too would start by replacing the switch. It is an easy and inexpensive change.

Old 11-30-14, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I turn the 2 way switch on
What do you mean by a 2-way switch? That term is not used in the US. It is what they call a 3-way switch in the UK. If this is a 3-way switch be sure you transfer the wire on the common of the old switch to the common of the new switch. Actual position of the common may not be the same. The common will be the odd colored screw (often dark gray).

Old 12-05-14, 03:21 AM
Sorry should of said single pole switch I'm going to change it this weekend when I get some time thanks for the responses.

Old 12-05-14, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just so you know a 3-way switch is a single pole switch also, SPDT. What you have is a SPST switch. Not important to your problem but thought you should know. When you install the new switch use the screws not the backstabs. If the current switch is backstabbed that may be your main problem.

Old 03-16-15, 05:56 PM
Its been a long time but the light worked for a while until now so I figured I would change the switch and no change still not turning on right a way and previous switch used terminal screws and I used them on new switch. Guess when I get time I will put a new light fixture up see if that works.

Old 03-16-15, 06:22 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
You can test for a bad switch before you buy one , just remove the the wires from the switch and wirenut the 2 together and see if the light functions correctly.
SHUT THE POWER OFF FIRST!
Just a thought.
Geo