Another fan/light speed control/dimmer switch question

Old 12-04-14, 06:31 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another fan/light speed control/dimmer switch question

Replaced another ceiling fan/light combo in the house and having a weird issue. The fan/light is controlled by a fan speed/light dimmer switch on the wall. When first hooked up the fan and light worked fine. Now when turning on the light the bulbs come on, immediately go out, and I hear a "hum" from the switch.

Breaker doesn't trip. This condition seems to happen every other time I attempt to turn the lights on.

Thoughts??

Old 12-04-14, 06:42 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Most fans don't take dimmers. I would replace the dimmer with a regular switch. The same goes for florescent bulbs.

Old 12-04-14, 06:51 PM
P
The "dimmer" is a separate fan speed and light dimmer. There is one on each of the ceiling fans in our house and work just fine on the other fans (including the one that I just replaced in the living room).

Old 12-04-14, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
The "dimmer" is a separate fan speed and light dimmer.
So that means the dimmer has a single power wire in and a separate wire out for fan and another separate wire out for light..... is that correct ?

Old 12-05-14, 09:07 AM
P
To be honest, I'm not sure since I haven't pulled the switch from the wall to look.

On the same switch there is a rotary knob that controls the light on the fan and then another rotary knob that controls the speed of the fan.

Something like this, but older:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leviton-Deco...item5b052b7e1c

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: