Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Fan Attachment

Name:  WP_20141206_004.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  13.5 KBName:  WP_20141206_005.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  20.5 KB

Hello all,

I am completely new to wiring, and I am just looking to make a situation safe. We moved into this house and it had an open fan attachment.
This fan attachment is wired to the same switch as three other ceiling lights. It has a black, white, red, and bare wire. Four other, identical lights, are on another switch. The three lights connected to this fan attachment are always dimmer than the other four.
Ideas? Solutions? Should the bare wire just be hanging out there, connected to nothing? There is no ground screw or anything else to connect it to. I am not trying to install a fan here, just to make sure there aren't any fire or safety hazards. Thanks for all your help.

Old 12-06-14, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
Are we looking at the same area in both photos?

I am confused when you say that there are lights connected to the fan attachment, but also say the fan attachment is open. By fan attachment do you mean the wiring box?

What type of fan unit is this for?

Old 12-06-14, 04:59 PM
R
Thanks for replying!
Yes, this is the same area in both pictures. The other lights aren't connected to this fan unit. They are just in a row in the ceiling and the same switch controls those and this open connection here. Yes, by fan attachment I mean wiring box.
I'm not sure I understand the question about types of fan units. I do not intend on putting a fan unit on this connection. I just want to leave it disconnected, but safely so and, preferably, in a way where the lights don't dim.

Old 12-06-14, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,873 Posts
There is just a single three wire cable to the box. Since there are no splices there..... your other lights are not connected at this location.

Old 12-07-14, 06:39 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your never going to have anything there I would pull those wires back into the attic and install a junction box to the side of the ceiling joist and install a cover.
Then fix the hole in the ceiling.

Old 12-07-14, 05:29 PM
R
Hmmm....thanks for the help guys.
So...what could be causing this set of lights to be constantly dimmer than the other, identical set on the other side of the ceiling?

Old 12-07-14, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,873 Posts
You would need to use a voltmeter to check the voltage at both sets of lights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: