Adding box for wall mounted light

Old 12-08-14, 02:56 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding box for wall mounted light

Hi,

For some odd reason when they did the addition on my house the only light in the "game room" (the one between the garage and the main house) is a CFL hooked to a set of wires coming out of a hole in the drywall (long story, but I wasn't here when the construction was actually done...). I'd like to replace it with a "real" wall mounted light. Since the wall is "finished", i.e. has drywall on it and is painted, I was thinking that some sort of electrical box that can be put into the drywall and will support the light. What's the best way to do this? Or do I need to find some way to add a box and attach it to a stud?

Thanks,

Rob

Old 12-08-14, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,183 Likes on 2,858 Posts
You could cut in an old work box, either metal or plastic, depending on the weight of the fixture. Ray made a recommendation for a 4" round box. Depending on the fixture base... that would be a better choice.

Name:  602041_front500.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  29.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-08-14 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added round box info
Old 12-08-14, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The old work ceiling boxes are a little harder to install than the wall boxes, cut out is more exacting. You do need the old work ceiling box, but try to find a template for the cut out. Template should be available at the place of purchase, but they are often missing.

Old 12-09-14, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
A 4" holesaw works very well for the old work ceiling boxes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: