Is it possible to paint a 250 watt halogen work light?

Old 12-16-14, 09:41 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to paint a 250 watt halogen work light?

Hello,

I have a quick question. Is it possible to paint the glass cover of a 250 watt work light (portable halogen lamp) with high temp glass paint to use as outdoor up lighting? I would like to be able to use these for up lighting for the giant trees in my yard and figured since they are able to be used outdoors and in wet/moist areas they just might do the trick. I would like to paint the glass cover green with glass paint. Am I in the clear to do this, or am I at risk of starting a fire? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Old 12-16-14, 10:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
I would say no. Even in stage lighting the jells (colored film) used to impart a color are spaced well away from the lamp. You could build a frame to hold a colored jell/sheet at least a few inches away from the glass of your lamp. Try holding your hand in front of the lamps beam. Even a few inches away from the glass will get quite hot but you will get some idea how far away you need to space the jell so it can survive.

Old 12-16-14, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is this for a permanent setup or just temporary like for the holidays ?

I don't think painting those glass lenses green with paint will give you the effect you are looking for plus due to the extreme heat on that glass I'm not sure how it will affect the temper on the glass.

They make regular colored floodlight bulbs..... have you tried them ?

Name:  br38.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  17.0 KB

Old 12-16-14, 12:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 872 Upvotes on 763 Posts
While I've never used a 250 watt halogen work light I have used the 500 watts ones a lot. The glass gets extremely hot and I wouldn't apply paint to it! One 500 watt halogen light will heat a walkin closet in the winter time [house under construction without heat]

Old 12-16-14, 02:06 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Try using colored gels in front of the light. These can be bought at most photographic supply stores, or just google "gel filters". I work in television, and these are what we use to color lights.
Andy

Old 12-16-14, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've tried both painting, and the gel filters mentioned on 150W halogens for a parade float. Within 15 minutes both the paint and the gel filters were burned off. (different fixtures, different years)

Old 12-17-14, 03:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Our gel filters are set probably a foot away from the heat of the bulb, and the bulb is ventilated, so I doubt the filters, unless you can find a glass filter will work without ventilation. In addition, if you have them for uplighting, one drop of rain on a burning bulb will make it toast. I know, you'll turn them off in the rain....hopefully.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: