Help with electric wiring

Old 12-21-14, 07:12 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with electric wiring

I am trying to install track lights in my kitchen and need help to decode the wiring schema. The old light fixture had two sockets and I can't remember how they were connected. At this time, I see two sets of wires coming from above the ceiling into the outlet box. The first set has a Purple (1) and White (1). The second set has Purple (2) and White (2). White (1) and White (2) are connected using a wire connector. Purple (1) and Purple (2) are connected using another wire connector that also holds Black (1). The other end of the Black (1) is isolated.

The track lights I bought simply instruct connecting Black to Black and White to White. I'm trying to figure out how that relates to my setup. Can I use just one set of wires - Connect Purple (1) to fixture's Black and connect White (1) to fixture's White; then cover the Purple (2) and White (2) separately using wire connectors. I would appreciate if someone can advise whether this will work and / or if there is a better way.

Regards,
RJ

Old 12-21-14, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The other end of the Black (1) is isolated
Not sure I'm following you there.

The two purples should remain connected and connect to the black of the track.
The two whites should remain connected and connect to the white of the track.

The wires need to remain connected as they were in the box unless there is a reason to separate them.

Old 12-22-14, 05:19 AM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Wiring

Does this set up involve a switch loop?

How is the switch wired?

Old 12-22-14, 10:01 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I should have provided the following detail....
There are two outlet boxes controlled by three-way switch. The two three-way switches surround the two outlet boxes.
How can I tell whether there's also a switch loop?

Old 12-22-14, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
You don't have a switch loop there. I advised you to keep the like colored wires connected as they were originally. Why would you only want to pick one set to use ?

If one set is the incoming power and neutral and the second set goes to a second box that is no longer being used.... then yes.... you can use the incoming power pair only and cap off the extras.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: