Floor lamp burns out new sockets

Old 12-28-14, 10:59 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floor lamp burns out new sockets

Hi folks, first post here. I haven't been able to track down ideas on this one so hopefully this isn't a redundant post. I have a floor lamp, one of a set of three purchased maybe 15 years ago, that I cannot get working. It is a three way turn switch type socket. It started by burning out bulbs far too soon. I replaced the socket and the issue continued - maybe a bulb would last a few hours. I've replaced the socket three times since thinking it was a bad socket, then a batch batch from Home Depot, then today after waiting a few weeks for HD to get some new ones. I've tried different outlets and in fact have a new lamp in the original outlet with no issue. This last socket was a Leviton and when installing I traced the cord to be sure I was putting neutral to silver and cut the cord back to wire the socket with freshly stripped wire. I put in a three way bulb and the arcing was impressive. This socket burned up more quickly and more severely than the previous ones. Now I have replaced sockets several times over the past three decades or so and never saw anything like this. I pulled the cord out and there is no obvious damage such as nicks, pinches, severe bends, nothing. I cannot figure out what is going on here but wondering what others think? Anyone seems a lamp misbehave to such as extent?

Old 12-28-14, 11:57 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Bulbs not the lamp holder was my first thought. Are these regular incandescent not halogen? I'd try a different manufacturer.

Old 12-28-14, 12:13 PM
D
I've used multiple bulbs, incandescent, both three way and one. They are a mix of brands and bulbs from those packs work fine in other lamps. It's either the lamp or its me and I can't figure out what else it could be in the lamp.

Old 12-28-14, 01:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
At this point if it was me and I really wanted to keep the lamp I'd gut it and rewire from scratch just to see if that worked.

Old 12-29-14, 05:34 PM
A
Received 296 Upvotes on 271 Posts
How many lamp sockets experienced severe arcing? If just one then it's probably just a bad socket.

If the tab at the socket bottom is flush against the socket bottom, it should be lifted a bit, requires a paper clip with a tiny "J" hook at the end.

Old 12-29-14, 05:49 PM
D
Four sockets in total including the original I believe. The last one at least was a Leviton and was purchased a few weeks after the last one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: