Installing a new bathroom fan/light/nightlight combo - wiring question

Old 12-31-14, 12:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a new bathroom fan/light/nightlight combo - wiring question

Hello
I think this might be easy, but I am not sure.
I bought a new bathroom fan to replace the existing (not powerful enough). Currently, I have a light and fan together, controlled by one switch. The new fan has a light, nightlight and fan.
I was told I needed to buy a multipurpose switch. When I removed the switch from the wall, there is one set of wires only - ground, red, white and black. The red and black are connected together, the white and ground are both separate.
The multipurpose switch I bought has a screw for the red white black and ground. However there is a screw on the side that is not used. Since this is the only wire in the switchbox, can I connect the red, white, black and ground, and connect it to the existing fan from the attic?

OR do I need to drop a wire from the attic to the switch? Not sure why, but it seems to imply that in the wiring directions. I know the wire from the wall goes to a junction box and then to the fan.

Old 12-31-14, 01:33 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How are the wires connected to the current switch? Do you have white to one side of the switch and red and black to the other side?

Old 01-05-15, 02:39 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need another pair for the night light, attached on the line side so that you have unswitched power and neutral to the night light (it's on 24/7).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: