Advice needed LED or florescent for new bedroom addition?

Old 01-02-15, 05:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice needed LED or florescent for new bedroom addition?

I'm going crazy looking for the best up to date in ceiling lighting for 2 bedrooms both measuring about 16 x 15 feet. It's new construction stage now and ready for wiring. I'm looking for lights and a dimmer switch for both rooms. I picture 4" or 5" round lights in the room but I see there are square florescent lights that aren't too bad either. What would light the whole room and be cost effective?
I see where LED bulbs cost more than CFL bulbs, but last longer. Opinions on that?
I have seen lights where you can install them around insulation and some you need to be 3" away from it.
I need insulated lighting to keep the cold out.

Any suggestions would be great. Help!

Old 01-02-15, 05:29 AM
A
Received 294 Upvotes on 269 Posts
I would not take longevity into account when deciding on LED lights. I have seen too many lights fail after only a short time. Most LED "bulbs" have several light emitting elements (diodes) inside and often just some of the elements fail but the overall light output is very much reduced.

Meanwhile fluorescent lights are more fickle when used with dimmers. You need to find fixtures and dimmers that are compatible with each other.

Some LED fixtures as well as fluorescent fixtures do need adequate heat dissipation space i.e. ceiling insulation not right up to the fixture body.

I would not use fluorescent fixtures with exposed lamps or tubes. Some ultraviolet is given off and exposure day in and day out can lead to the same skin cancer issues and some eyesight issues as excessive sun exposure. Usually the globe or cover on a fixture absorbs most of the UV radiation that the lamp may emit.

Old 01-02-15, 05:34 AM
"You need to find fixtures and dimmers that are compatible with each other."
Can you recommend?

Old 01-02-15, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
LED's and compact fluorescents are electronic devices with many components in addition to the bit that actually makes light. Failure of any one of the components will make the light not work. The claim of so many thousand hours life is highly, almost criminally optimistic so I would not invest the extra money in LED since their efficiency is only slightly higher than fluorescents. The key, as already mentioned, is to match your dimmer to the light.

Old 01-02-15, 05:59 AM
Right. LED is off the list.
So the answer so far is to find a florescent light with a good breathable cover. Find a matching dimmer switch to the light. How do you "match" them up?

Old 01-02-15, 06:30 AM
Ok, switching gears how about using for example PAR30 Halogen bulbs with a dimmer?

Old 01-02-15, 06:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Upvotes on 179 Posts
Regular halogen bulbs will work fine with any dimmer. It is fluorescent and LED that need compatible dimmers.

Old 01-02-15, 07:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 912 Upvotes on 770 Posts
No matter what light fixtures you choose, I suggest using ones that use a standard medium base. That will give you the most flexibility when it comes time to choose the fixtures you want. Do not just choose a fixture that is only LED, or CFL, as that will lock you into that type of lamp. Even with cans, if you choose ones that have a medium base, you can install about any type of lamp you want.

For the record, I have had good luck with LED's and associated dimmers. We will have to wait the 10 - 13 years to see if LED lamps live up to the 50,000 hour rating.

Old 01-02-15, 07:09 AM
That's good advice.Thanks.

Old 01-02-15, 08:04 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
If you do go with LED's in the down lights make sure to buy the fixture components as a unit,don't try to mix and match as heat can create problems with the thermal protectors.as for the fixture itself if it's going to be near insulation it must be IC rated.
Go with the LED's
Geo

Old 01-02-15, 11:18 AM
Can you guys point me to a feasible 6in standard medium base recessed air sealed ceiling light ? The deeper I get the more competition I find.
Manufacturers like Nora and Juno appear to be what I'm looking for but not exactly sure.
I want to solve the puzzle.

Old 01-02-15, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Look at Halo H7ICAT. We install these by the hundreds. Juno IC22 will also work.

Old 01-02-15, 03:42 PM
Sweet thanks for the info.

Old 01-02-15, 03:59 PM
Halo H7ICAT
I would also recommend the Halo Insulation Contact Housings. Juno is nice, but more expensive and you can see no difference. Halo also offers a wide variety of trim kits.
AllanJ pointed out some pitfalls to using fluorescent bulbs, I would add to that the color temperature also is not ideal, and they just simply look bad and are often way too bright. This applies mainly to triple tube CFL's, which I wouldn't even consider.

Old 01-03-15, 05:25 AM
Thanks you guys!!!
I believe I need insulation to keep the heat in. Juno is starting to look good.
Do these have standard medium base?
6" flood from an 8 ft ceiling will get me at least a 10ft perimeter correct ?

Old 01-03-15, 07:04 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, the Juno IC22 has a medium base. Product-Family

10ft perimeter on the floor? Normally we will space 6" cans 4' -6' apart depending on the room size.

Old 01-05-15, 11:58 AM
Hey, next research project after lights is insulating the structure.
Best insulation method regarding lighting from what I'm reading is track lighting and NOT can lights.They leak too much....ARGH.

Old 01-05-15, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Older cans leaked, especially the ones you could not have in contact with insulation. Newer air tight cans leak much less, if at all. Get air tight housings and cover them with insulation making sure your drywall is cut tight.

Old 01-09-15, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the help.
Went to home depot and picked up the 6" Air tite Halo's and some single pole dimmer switches.
Think I'll just make an insulated box and install it over the cans.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: