LED Bulbs HELP

Old 01-05-15, 06:58 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED Bulbs HELP

That is the look on my face with all the info I have read on the internet, and I am still confused. OK so some people buy LED bulbs for the cost savings factor, I want LED bulbs because of the look (I think)
Me and my wife just bought a home in NJ, there is can lighting in the basement, our bathroom, and the main floor (5 lights in kitchen and living room). Everytime we turn on the lights it gives us a 1980s feel I dont know how to explain it, BRIGHT YELLOW ugly light where it is just unbearable to even turn lights on. Me and my wife have decorated the house to perfection, all new hard woods, top of the line furniture etc etc. The one thing that makes me is the lighting in the home, i really cant even put lights on. OK so we go on houzz, and we look at other peoples decorating styles, we watch HGTV, the lighting is all beautiful and I know it is LED bulbs but what kind? We want a nice daylight looking cool blue look. When we turn on the can lights we dont want to have to wear sunglasses in the home. some are dimmers, some are just on a switch. Any recommendations where I can get good looking bulbs? In the basement i have 8 cans all dimming, living room 2 cans both dimming, kitchen 3 cans non dimming. I dont want to break the bank on 40 dollar bulbs but i could spend some money on them, also i want to change all the lighting fixtures to LED bulbs. I know the flood light can dimming bulbs are the most expensive. Anyone have any good product recommendations for these? I literally spend 2 hours a day googling different bulbs and reviews, but no one posts pictures all they say is how much they save. But im in it for the look

Old 01-05-15, 07:25 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Everytime we turn on the lights it gives us a 1980s feel I dont know how to explain it, BRIGHT YELLOW ugly light where it is just unbearable to even turn lights on.
It sounds as if your biggest issue is with the color temperature of the existing lamps.

We want a nice daylight looking cool blue look.
Cool blue looking lamps are found in the 5000 to 6500 degree Kelvin range; cool white is 4100 degrees. Check the LED lamp packaging to see what the color temperature is of the lamps you are looking at. I wouldn't buy more than a couple of new LED lamps till you are sure you have the color you want.

Some LED lamps are dimmable and some aren't. Be sure to buy the dimmable type along with the appropriate dimmers for any new LED lamps. Your older incandescent dimmers probably won't work with LED lamps.

Old 01-05-15, 07:50 AM
B
LED lamps? what is that? i just moved in and we already have the lighting fixtures installed in the ceiling, did you mean LED bulbs? I have to change the entire fixture too?

Old 01-05-15, 08:01 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
did you mean LED bulbs?
"Lamp" is just industry terminology for the layman's term, "Bulb".

Old 01-05-15, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Upvotes on 179 Posts
There are retrofit LED recessed trims and also LED bulbs that use the existing recessed trim.

I agree that your issue is one of color temperature being wrong for the look you are trying to achieve.

Old 01-05-15, 11:25 AM
L
Suggest the you Google "Color Rendering Index" as well as "Color Temperature". The two terms are related somewhat, but do different things with respect to the way we perceive colors. As an example, the old "Cool White" fluorescent bulbs gave out a really good, white light; but were severely deficient in the reds, yellows, and warmer colors of the spectrum. In other words, tomatoes, red meat, and carrots looked awful under "cool white" lighting. The same thing happens with some 5000K and 6000K lighting - stuff looks too blue. That's where the "Color Rendering Index" (CRI) comes in. A Color Temperature of 6000K and a CRI of 100, for all intents and purposes, produces a very realistic daylight illumination. You probably won't find a 6000K lamp with a CRI of 100, but you will perhaps like a lower color temperature with a higher CRI better than a higher color temperature with lower CRI.

This stuff makes my brain hurt.

Old 01-05-15, 12:01 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Have you visited any lighting show rooms? I would tend to stay away from retrofit LED trims that aren't designed for your fixtures,you may run into thermal issues with the thermal protector in the fixture.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: