Replacing outlet controlled by single pole switch

Old 01-08-15, 10:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing outlet controlled by single pole switch

I'm working on replacing an old outlet that's too loose to hold any connections. One of the outlets is controlled by a single pole switch. I'm using one of the standard Leviton decora series outlets, but I'm running into the problem of the switch not working after installing the new outlet. Both receptacles have power, but switch controls neither. I've tried all the wiring combinations I can think of, but it's possible I missed the right one. Not sure if it's that or there's some kind of difference between the old and new outlets. There are 2 black, 2 white and 1 ground being used in this outlet. I've attached pics of the old and new outlets. Any suggestions on what I should try? Thanks
Name:  Old_outlet.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  35.3 KB Name:  New_outlet.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  39.3 KB

Old 01-08-15, 11:40 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Look at the side of the old and new one, notice one of the tabs is broken off on the old one?
Tab needs to be broken off on the same side as the old one.

Old 01-08-15, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,101 Upvotes on 3,683 Posts
You need to break off the bridging clip from the black wire side of the receptacle.

Name:  bridging clip.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  20.3 KB

Old 01-08-15, 01:45 PM
D
Ah, I was never aware this was possible. Does the order of where I connect each wire matter? Since both whites are on the bottom should I use one on the screw terminal and the other in the push in lock or should each white go on a different terminal?

Old 01-08-15, 02:49 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
should I use one on the screw terminal and the other in the push in lock or should each white go on a different terminal?
the "push-in" (AKA back stab) is less reliable and we recommend never use them. In fact when someone posts with a dead receptacle one of our first suggestions is "move any back stabs to the screws". That often fixes the problem.

You can put one white on each screw or even better connect them to a pigtail and the pigtail to the receptacle. (Since the bridge remains in place on the neutral side the two silver screws are electrically connected.)

Old 01-08-15, 02:52 PM
One white will go under each side screw terminal. Don't use the back wire holes, they loosen over time.
As far as the blacks, they also go under each side terminal, after breaking tab.
If you have a preference of which half of receptacle is always hot and which is switched (top or bottom), you can swap the black wires after everything is working correctly.

Ray and I posted the same time...... You're good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: