Advice needed on a remote control for ceiling fan

Old 01-09-15, 09:27 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice needed on a remote control for ceiling fan

My home looks to originally have had fluorescent lighting all over. It still has it in the kitchen, and downstairs bathroom, but previous owners replaced them in the living room and dining room with a typical flush-mount light in the dining room, which has a pull cord, and in the living room, replaced with a ceiling fan.

The issue I have, is that they are both controlled by ONE switch, which is conveniently (sarcasm) located in the dining room. Granted its an open floor plan so its kind of the same room essentially, its a terrible design.

So that switch is always left on. When we eat at the table, we pull the pullcord on the dining room light to turn it on, and when we want the fan or lights on the fan on, we use its pull cords.

I would like a switch for the fan lights (Since its the only "ceiling" lighting in the living room) right at the front door where it should be, so it seems the easiest route would be to install one of those remote controls that controls the fan speed, and lights. I do believe ill need a new fan, since this one is extremely old and dated (I want a new one anyways), but what is required for these remotes to work?

What would it require to have this fan/lights on its own circuit? (Switch at the door for the fan, and another switch for the lights?) I have a two story house, so theres no place to get in the ceiling without cutting it open.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, this is our first home. I have replaced light fixtures and such before, so I have some experience with basic wiring.

Old 01-09-15, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may not need to run any cable at all depending.
Are you good enough at wiring to find your source power? The source is hopefully at the switch box.
You could reconfigure so that switch would control dining light, fan would be constant hot and controlled by remote.

This is kind of a longshot, but post what wires are in the switch box.

Last edited by Handyone; 01-09-15 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 12:06 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Your old fan should be wired with two wires. Hook those same two wires to the new fan with built in remote. Leave the wall switch on and control the dining light by the pull cord. The fan and fan light can then be controlled by the remote.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: