ceiling fixture ground wiring

Old 01-10-15, 07:01 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ceiling fixture ground wiring

Hi all,
Im trying to install a new ceiling light fixture in my new house, and am confused on how to ground it properly.

The ground from the house supply is a bare, thick gauge Aluminum wire. Currently attached to a ground screw in the box.

The fixture comes with a:
- Green stranded wire, which is in the same sheathing as the black and white wires
- a thin copper bare wire attached to the fixture
- a thin bit of bare copper wire attached to a ground screw on the bracket provided

How do I attach these together to properly ground the fixture? The diagram provided seems to suggest i connect the groud from the house to the copper bare wires, and does not show what to do with the greem. Its not a great diagram though.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Old 01-10-15, 07:13 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
They all connect together. You may need to connect the fixture ground to the mounting strap and the strap ground gets connected to the box in the ceiling if it is metal or to the grounding wire in the supply cable.

Are you SURE the grounding conductor is aluminum?

Old 01-10-15, 07:40 PM
A
Thanks. Im fairly sure, since the house is Al wiring. The wire is a thick gauge, silver in colour.

Old 01-10-15, 08:19 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
the house is Al wiring
Flag on the play. You can not use wires nuts to connect any of the wire including the grounds. AlumiConn connectors are allowed. Flag #2, does the light require 90 degree C wire? Your wiring may be 60 C.

Old 01-11-15, 06:52 AM
A
Hi Furd,

Actually still a bit confused. If i connect the copper wire from the base of the fixture to the mounting strap, and then those wires to ground supply, how do i do this using the boxes screw too? Could i connect them using the appropriate connectors, and not use the screw on the box, since im connected to the ground screw on the mounting strap?

Also what happens to the green wire coming from the fixture itself? Do i just cap that off on its own?

Old 01-11-15, 07:29 AM
Confused by your description. Is it a metal box? Can you post a picture? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 01-11-15, 09:59 AM
A
Name:  20150111_120110.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  28.6 KB

Here is a pic of thefixture wiring. My photo for the supply is not uploading, but for the ground its simply one solid bare wire currently connected to a ground screw within the box, which is metal.

Old 01-11-15, 10:34 AM
Connect all the ground wires to two pigtails. Connect one pigtail to the box green screw and one to the hanger.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: