Ghost or simple electrical problem ?

Old 01-11-15, 07:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ghost or simple electrical problem ?

My garage has three basic light bulb fixtures in the ceiling controlled by one switch. The third light, which is furthest from the switch blows out too often. Every two months or so, the bulb will simply burn out while the others keep burning bright. I finally got fed up and installed a fluorescent light to replace the "third" light bulb fixture. It worked great for about 4 weeks and then it wouldn't turn on. I bought two new light tubes, installed them and the light still won't work. Perhaps the ballast is now bad? But why, why would that particular "line/position" have these issues? The other two lights on the same power line continue to work great. I know its not a ghost, but I'm starting to think thats the only logical explanation. ha! HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-15, 07:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Bend up the tab at the bottom of the socket a bit. Redo all the connections both at the problem light and the light that feeds it.

Old 01-11-15, 09:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply Ray. I checked all the connection before replacing the ceramic light bulb base with fluorescent tube lighting. The black wire coming into the new light and ballast is hot, but wires coming out of the ballast are "dead", no power reading. I'm assuming the ballast is now shot, but how and why? If there was a surge (or have been before), i would think the other two lights operating off the same switch would also blow/burn out. Right?

Old 01-11-15, 10:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sorry missed the part about changing to a fluorescent light. How did you make these measurements? Did you use a multimeter?

Old 01-15-15, 07:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
You may have a loose connection upstream of this fixture.