Bathroom GFCI tripped and will not reset

Old 01-12-15, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Bathroom GFCI tripped and will not reset

Iím trying to solve an electrical problem that occurred this morning in our main floor bathroom. One of my kids was taking a shower and accidentally pointed the shower head upwards and it sprayed the ceiling and water dripped down the walls. This immediately tripped the GFCI 15 amp outlet on the wall by the door. The room was wet after three showers with no exhaust fan or lights. I vented the room, wiped the walls and placed a portable heater in there to dry out the room. I also took off the receptacle / switch cover plates to look for water or a loose connection but everything appears to be fine. The 15 amp breaker on the main panel never tripped but the GFCI trips and will not reset. Again, the connections are tight. No moisture in the box or receptacle. There is a ceiling light, wall light (wired to same switch); ceiling exhaust fan, GFCI 15 amp outlet on the wall as well as two switches (lights and ceiling fan). There is also a wire for an electrical baseboard heater that is no longer in use. The baseboard heater was removed; wire nuts (yellow merits) were added, taped and pushed into the wiring hole in the floor.

Any ideas on what could be wrong or how I should proceed to problem solve?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-15, 01:20 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just to eliminate the obvious have you turned the breaker all the way off then on? A tripped breaker doesn't always look tripped and a GFCI will not reset if no power.

Old 01-15-15, 05:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
The wires from the baseboard heater should have been removed from the panel so they can no longer be used or placed in an accessible junction box. Capping them and tucking into a floor or wall is not correct and is a code violation.