Connect light fixture to outlet?

Old 01-17-15, 11:23 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connect light fixture to outlet?

In a bathroom I am remodeling, there is an electrical outlet that is over the sink. The outlet is attached to the wall light switch such that when the ceiling light is turned on, the outlet is powered. When the light switch is turned off, the outlet is not powered. I would like to mount a vanity light directly over this outlet. Can I simply connect the light fixture to this outlet (simple black to black, white to white in the outlet)? The way the outlet is wired, the light would turn on and off with the wall switch. Thanks for any help!

Old 01-17-15, 12:36 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How many 2-conductor cables (black and white) at the receptacle? If only one I would replace the 2-conductor cable from the switch with a 3-conductor cable. That way the receptacle can be always hot.

Old 01-17-15, 01:15 PM
H
The circuit from the wall switch terminates at this particular outlet.

Old 01-17-15, 01:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
So you have only one two conductor cable. You say you are remodeling so now is the time to replace the 2-conductor cable with a 3-conductor cable if this is a dedicated 20 amp circuit. If it isn't a dedicated 20 amp circuit since you are remodeling you should run one for the receptacle. The light can remain on the existing circuit.

Terminology: Outlet is a place where power is tapped. Both the receptacle and light are outlets.

Old 01-17-15, 02:15 PM
H
Thank you for the help ray2047.

Old 01-17-15, 02:51 PM
The outlet is attached to the wall light switch such that when the ceiling light is turned on, the outlet is powered
You can do what you asked. Simply install light and hook up to receptacle as you said.
Understand though that the existing light (ceiling?), receptacle you're tapping off of, and new light will all be controlled by the switch, either all on or all off.
There are better ways to do this but each involves running new cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: