LED Puck Light vs Standard Bulb

Old 01-22-15, 11:45 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
LED Puck Light vs Standard Bulb

I am going to add some lights above our island in the kitchen but I am going to have to use puck lights due to a) a beam in the ceiling prevents me from putting in a recessed light and b) the wife wants no hanging lights.

Situation: The island was installed many years after the initial kitchen, and the light in the kitchen is in the middle of the room. Thus, when you are working at the island, you are constantly working in your own shadow. By placing lights above the island, I am hoping to get rid of the 'shadow work.'

My question deals with the light itself. The puck lights give 275 lumens each. A 60 watt standard bulb about 800 lumens. I'm concerned with the ability of the puck lights (I"m going to put in 3 -5 of them) to do what I need. Do 3 lights give me more light than just 1 or 2? Obviously 5 would be best, but is it still enough to dispell the shadows? The lights would need to be laid out in a semi-circle or L as the island is L shaped. Each light approx 1 foot from the other.

Last edited by Marvinator; 01-22-15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 01:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I would try to steer you more toward track lighting than puck lights. Puck lights are designed as accent lights and mainly used under cabinets to illuminate counter tops that are about 18" away. They certainly are not designed for general lighting.

Visit a lighting store (not the light dept at the box store) to see all the possibilities. Here is a quick google link to track lighting - https://www.google.com/search?q=trac...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Old 01-22-15, 01:23 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply, however, track lightinig falls under the "hanging below the ceiling" look that my wife is not wanting.

Is there another type of puck light or a light that might fit against the ceiling and LOOK like a puck light? i will have to use a pancake junction box and could possible get away with something that stuck out a bit, but did not look like a hanging light...

Old 01-22-15, 03:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Try Googeling for flat LED lighting and see if that gives you some ideas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: